Bullies

Would you do this for your child?

Cops: NJ mom, grandma attacked 4th-grade bullies

Associated Press - 1 hr 18 mins ago

TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) - The mother of a 9-year-old girl who says she was bullied has been arrested on charges she boarded a school bus and slapped and cursed at two fourth-grade boys, while the girl's grandmother is accused of screaming at them, authorities said.

Rebecca Sardoni, 28, of Toms River, and her mother, 51-year-old Stephanie Sardoni, of Beachwood, were arrested Friday and released on summonses.

Toms River Police Chief Michael G. Mastronardy told The Asbury Park Press that witnesses said the two women boarded a school bus Friday morning bound for East Dover Elementary School and asked for a boy they claimed had been harassing Rebecca Sardoni's daughter on the bus.

Several students on the bus said Rebecca Sardoni then cursed at the boy and slapped him and a boy seated next to him while Stephanie Sardoni yelled at the two boys, Mastronardy said.

Rebecca Sardoni is charged with simple assault, criminal trespass and making terroristic threats. Stephanie Sardoni is charged with criminal trespass.

A woman who identified herself as Rebecca Sardoni answered the phone Sunday at a listing for Stephanie Sardoni in Beachwood. She told The Associated Press that she regretted boarding the bus, but she denied touching or hitting anyone.

"I was upset. I wasn't crazy woman upset," Rebecca Sardoni said. "I don't put my hands on my own kids. I would have never put my hands on anyone's kid."

Rebecca Sardoni said her daughter is upset and nervous about going to school Monday. She said she's considering sending her daughter to a new school but knows for sure that she won't be taking the bus anymore.

"It's crazy that this got blown into me doing something wrong - me and my family - when this is my daughter that is the victim," Rebecca Sardoni told the AP.

Rebecca Sardoni said she took matters into her own hands after school officials ignored complaints that her daughter, who is also in fourth-grade, had been verbally and physically bullied by four students. She said her mother merely stood at the front of the bus with the driver.

School officials couldn't be reached Sunday by The Associated Press.

The boys were treated by nurses from Toms River Regional Schools for cuts to their mouths. One of the boys was taken by his parents to a local hospital for treatment of a neck injury, Mastronardy said.

The stepfather of one of the boys - who have not been named because of their ages - told the newspaper his stepson had a cut on his lip after Rebecca Sardoni slammed his head against the bus window.

___

AP Radio reporter John Klobucar in Washington contributed to this report.

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• No I would hopefully remember that I am an adult and would therefore choose the correct avenue for complaint and punishment.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• There is absolutely NO reason for a parent to lay a finger on a child that isn't theirs. If her daughter was being bullied as badly as this report said, the mother should have gone to the police and filed assault and harassment charges. A grown adult confronting a minor is NEVER a good idea; it turns out badly for the adult.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• yay for the power of mom hood. If that were my kid i would have done the same damn thing..well not slappin someone elses kid but i sure as hell will have a talkin to those kids. I've already done something similar before im tired of schools saying " zero tollerance for bullying" but they still turn a blind eye. I say way to go to that mom!
    NotUrKidsBestie

Answer by NotUrKidsBestie at 11:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• So where was the bus driver in all of this and what does he or she have to say?

I would not take the word of the women nor of the parents who were not on the bus. This is rediculous behaviour but how much is factual remains to be seen. I would say the boys' injuries would speak to the fact that she assaulted them. , Slammed his head into the window, I don't know. But I do know if you do one crazy thing, assaulting a child(ren) then the other things will be believed also.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• 2 grown women slapping 9- year old's? No, that's not right. I'm all for zero tolerance for bullying but you don't take it upon yourself to slap someone else's child.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• I wouldn't slap them or put my hands on them in any way (though I'm sure I'd like to). I understand the mom's frustration, but she should have gone about it differently. I addressed the parents of the bully when I went through that with my oldest, and I happened to do so right in front of the kids who were doing the bullying. Sadly, the parent was as bad as the kid and of course saw nothing wrong with anything.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2012

• Another reason for school buses to have cameras running. The expense is no longer an excuse, and a single PTO fundraiser would cover the cost 10 times over, no matter how large the school district. Then we have no more he said/she said about bullies on the bus, or parents getting fed up with the alleged bullies and going off where they may or may not have hit someone (or the bullies may or may not have hit each other to get the parent in trouble). Bus drivers don't have eyes in the back of their heads, they should be focused on the road first, and even if they do see or hear something going on behind them, that doesn't mean they're somewhere they can easily pull over and stop immediately.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• Not at that age, but I'm not above slapping the day lights out of a 17 yo
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2012