Is this to extravagant for a 6 yo?

My 6 yo son was looking a Lego catalog a few months back and saw the Star Wars Deathstar and immediately wanted me to buy it for him. I told him that if he earned the money that he could buy it himself. Well he actually took it upon himself to do extra chores around the house to earn the money. I paid him a quarter a chore...Amazingly he has earned almost enough money to buy this silly thing...it runs around 200 dollars. He does have a savings account and we have a rule that the money he has gotten for gifts (birthday, Christmas) has to go into his savings account. Now I am second guessing myself about my promise to him and I am wondering would you ladies let him buy this lego set???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why?? That to me, would be like lieing.. IF he done the work he earned the money, I'd let him buy it. Good for him!! :D
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Absolutely. You wouldn't want someone telling you what to do with your spending money would you?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Oh, I forgot to say what an awesome job he did saving all that money!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• If he has worked for it, of course I would get it for him! That is a really good lesson for him to learn. If you want something, you work hard and earn the money for it. Why wouldn't you get it for him after he did what you said?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I think you need to follow thru for 2 reasons: one, if you go back on your word, he'll think he can't trust you, and eventually maybe even believe that he can go back on his word. Two, he worked hard to earn that money. He did it b/c he wanted it so badly, and for a 6 yr old to be that determined and focused is a big deal. By letting him get it, you'll have taught him that hard work is how you get what you want in life, which is a very good lesson for kids to learn. Also, by having worked to earn the money, he'll be less likely to lose, destroy or otherwise mess up this toy. And, if it turns out to be too extravagent, then just look at it as a lesson to you to think before you promise that next time. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Ladies thank you for your answers...You are all right and he will be getting his Star Wars Death Star.... :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• WOW that id great your son can save that much! I can't get mine do that to save his life HAHA. I had the same issue with my boy tho. He's almost 7 and he really really wanted the Star Wars Legos. You know if he saved his money then I would have no problem with him purchasing it, but I will not buy it for him. My kids can be destructive and I hate to say it lazy. They will play with it and forget about it in a few days, and then all the pieces start going missing, left on the floor etc, but if he wanted to buy it with money he earned than np. I would definitely still let him purchase it though. I know it's a lot of money for a toy, but it is SO great that you have been able to teach him about saving his own money! Good Luck :)

KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• not too extravagant since you paid him a quarter a chore!! 4 quarters in a dollar times $200 is like 800 chores!!! Kudos to the kid for going the extra mile!! Kudos to you for not just buying it but making him earn it!!
    KarenLynny

Answer by KarenLynny at 11:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• And YOU need to post a pic after he builds it!

What a rock star of a kid!!!!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I say that second guessing or not, get ready to help him put it together. Any kid with enough ambition to save up that much money and still want what he originally set out to buy with it, has earned it. I don't like taking my word back. It's a toy, let him get it.
    Lizzysapisces

Answer by Lizzysapisces at 11:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2009