• In the Spotlight:

breastfeeding question

i have been breastfeeding my 11 week old and also supplementing with formula. last week i was without power due to an ice storm, and with all the stress and not being able to feed him as much as at the house, my milk supply has gotten very low. i now can only pump about 8 oz a day. my question is how can i get my supply back up? also, if i can't, and i decide to stop breastfeeding what do i need to do to stop my milk from producing all together?? thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 11:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• instead of giving him formula for a feeding let him breastfeed for that feeding. skip the supplaments for a while and your milk supply will come back up. the more baby breastfeeds the more milk you will have.
    now if that doesnt work then all you have to do to dry up is not breastfeed or pump and your milk will stop producing all together and you can try cabbage leafs over your breast to help the process along. i know sounds wierd but it works ask many breastfeeding mommies on here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• 8 oz is a lot. I was getting MAYBE an oz when my supply went low at 3 1/2 months. They say that cabbage leaves dry it up in 48 hours. Not true. i wore cabbage leaves for 3 weeks and still leaked. They will be painful when you stop. I was told to latch baby on more often that didn't help neither. I say stop pumping and latch him on only. see if that helps. Good luck!
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 11:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You need to nurse that baby on demand! you shouldn't be supplementing at all, if you really want to nurse. there is no need for it! Nurse, Nurse, Nurse. If you want, pump on the breast not being nursed on!

Eat oatmeal as well! Drink lots of fluids and eat right. I don't understand how nursing with no power is a problem? When we got hurricanes in FL I was so thankful that I nursed because when the power went out I didn't have to worry at all about feeding my daughter! It was great!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• If you want to increase your supply, then nurse long and often. Your body will respond to the increased demand and produce more. Every time you supplement, that is less milk your baby takes from you. Breastfeeding is such a comfort in circumstances like power outages because it is always available and always fresh.
    kittensandpup

Answer by kittensandpup at 11:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my son is 4 months old and i breastfeed on demand, the more your baby eats, the more milk your breasts supply, stop the formula feedings for a while until you supply gets back up, or like celticreverie said, pump if your baby is on a bottle, breastmilk is the most healthy and most natural way to feed your baby!!
    MamaMays

Answer by MamaMays at 11:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Its a demand system the more your baby nurses the more milk you make. If the baby needs more nurse more, supplementing just throws a wrench in the whole system. I notice my breast fill up faster if a drink more fluid. I also pump in the middle of the night even if my DD is sleeping and freeze it. I do this more for comfort, I can't sleep with full boobs. I don't know about the cabbage thing. I heard you pump down. Just expressing enough to relieve pain. I'm not at that bridge yet. Hope everything works out.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• The reason my milk supply slowed down during the power outage was because I was very stressed. We had to find different places to stay every night, and my dogs got loose. It was just an awful week. My doc told me to start supplementing because I couldn't keep up with him. He eats 6oz bottles every 2-3 hours. I've been supplementing for about 7 weeks.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 11:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• See your doctor didn't even give you time to try to keep up with him. I don't understand? I do understand the stress though.. that makes things hard.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• A lot of docs don't have all the facts on BF...and most didn't think there was much of a difference between formula and breastmilk until like 15 years ago. Many think well every other baby lived so don't fret about breastfeeding just supplement.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:47 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I think of docs like mechanics....always do your own research.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2009