Is this wierd?

My kids are preteen to teen. They have their own money. When we go to the store they buy candy or soda. SO. I went to costco and bought a big box of candy bars. Their cost is $.50 each. I sell them to my kids (and hubby and myself) for $.75. The extra money goes to a family event.
I want my kids to see how much moeny they are spending and yet, pretty much keep it in the family. It is cheaper then they would spend at the store as the candy is around 1.00 each there. Is this wierd? I told my friend about it she thought I was nuts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG what a great idea! I'm going to send my hubby out to our Sams Club so I can do the same thing with my kids. Definitely not weird!
    KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Thats a great idea! I'll have to remember that. Hopefully they aren't buying too much junk though...not good for them and all. Heck, you should extend it to their friends and the neighborhood!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Well, it's strange in the sense that I've never heard anyone do it before. But, I think it's actually a good idea. As you said, you can teach them money lessons, but at the same time, you're not wasting all that money, either. I think it's great.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i think its a great idea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• No it isn't weird, I think it is very educating for the kids.

We are all weird in our own way,  I bet your friend is weird too. (miss goody to shoes...lol)

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You're awesome not weird! If more parent's were teaching thier kids these kinds of lessons, we'd have a lot less trouble with kids nowadays. (not just money lessons, but life lessons! I see more and more parents not taking responsibility for teaching thier own kids! ) Our friends and neighbors actually give thier kids time cards during the summer. When they do chores and such, they get paid for it, the money goes in savings and when school is about to start up, they use the money they EARNED to buy thier school clothes. I love the idea!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I think that's a really good idea! It's a great way to teach your kids money lessons, and a really cute idea to save money for a family event!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• nope, you are teaching good lessons. you rock!
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Not weird, inventive. Wish I thought of that when my son was blowing all his money on toys from the gas station!
    momof3jll

Answer by momof3jll at 12:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I actually like that idea! I may use it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2009