Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How do I help my husband?

My DH told me yesterday that he wants to see a doctor about why he feels angry and irritated all the time. He yells and overreacts every day, and is escalating at work and at home. The slightest infraction gets a harsh response from him, but then he feels like a jerk and apologizes .He knows he's being unreasonable and moody, but he says he can't stop. Does he need a psychiatrist or a councelor? I have no experience with mental health issues, so I don't know what to do.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2012 in Relationships

Answers (14)
  • if you can, call your dr and see what (sorry i don't know how to spell the word so i'm using the well known term.) head dr he suggests. i don't know much about it so i can't think of any places that would help. sorry.

    but at least your hubby is trying to get help. i hope he finds it.

    Answer by noel1978 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • As someone who has dealt with these issues, I can tell you that his problem probably stems from some emotions that he has repressed for years. The traditional psychotherapists, psychologists, doctors of psychiatry did not help me, and I saw many of them over the years. I finally found help in a person who had no training except that he was wise and mature and had dealt with it many times before. Just encourage your husband to look for someone like that and not to waste thousands of dollars on people who only want to give you a pill(which, in my case, did not help me at all). Encourage him to talk to people he works with who may have dealt themselves with these issues or know someone who has. The most important thing is to encourage him that he can be free from this kind of anger. I know that to be true because I am!!!

    Answer by NannyB. at 12:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • Good for him,, I think he needs to start with his primary care doc, and then he/she will most likely direct him to the right place, I assume they are going to want to to blood testing etc, before they can asses the situation, but I would be very happy he is willing to seek help.

    Answer by kimigogo at 12:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • Rule out anything physical and nutrition needs. Then remind self not a good idea to lose emotions at work or home. DH boss got let go for that reason.

    Answer by mto3821 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • I am happy he wants help, but I worry about him too.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • A complete physical should be his first step, to rule out any physical issues that may be either causing or magnifying this issue. From there, his primary care physician can help him to determine his next treatment step, to include referral to a mental health provider

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • I would just go to the dr and talk about it. It could be health or nutritional issues.

    Answer by PeacefulMom.2 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • I have been seeing a therapist for about 5 years now. I find it very helpful even just to go every six weeks. He might consider seeing one himself if none of the physicals show anything? I wouldn't suggest a psychiatrist yet. Pills might not be the solution.

    Answer by alexteale at 12:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • I think is good he see that he needs help. I will do what the others have told you and go first to a regular doctor to rule out any other problems that may be making him angry. Good luck

    Answer by Alisim at 1:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

  • Contact a mental health clinic, they will do an intake and start from there. Good luck, for you sake, I'm glad that he's willing to get some help

    Answer by adnilm at 6:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.