Suggestions for getting my 5yo and 7yo to stop arguing

Hi ladies, I have had this issue with my boys for a while now. Half the time thy play the other half they fight like it's going out of style LOL. Is there any suggestions for getting them to tone it down a bit? I know they are brothers, close in age, and sibling will fight but I feel like I'm starting to yell at them too much. Thanks Ladies!

KrystleShaw2007

Asked by KrystleShaw2007 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have the same age kids (girl 5 and boy 7) I am going through the same thing. Sometimes I get so fed up with me yelling at them I just tell them to sit down and don't get up (sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't). I am just so tired of yelling and spanking I have this plastic spoon that I use on them I don't beat them with it but one quick pop and it just gives the alittle sting I know that sounds mean but I did use my hand for awhile and that hurt me I felt all my nerves going crazy and it didn't even phase them. Do what ever works for you, this works for me especially when dh is not home they act worse. After all is said and done they still come over and sit next to me and cuddle and say I'm sorry I made you mad.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Do you work with them on conflict resolution? It's not something that comes naturally, you have to help them learn how to express themselves without fighting and to work out compromises. I try to help them work out their issues. If they are still having trouble getting along, I tell them to find their own things to do. If they don't do that and are still fighting, I send them to their own rooms and tell them they are not allowed to play together for XXX amount of time, sometimes an hour, sometimes the rest of the day. My oldest two are both 8 and now usually I tell them to work it out but the younger ones are still learning how to express themselves politely and work out a compromise so I help them do that.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• separate them for a few days... or until they are ready to behave...then that should help, they will get bored of not being able to play with eachother, then they should eventually start to get along, if it starts up again, just separate them until they get the point. but make sure 1st you explain to them what your doing and why. give a good explanation of why. then start the separation.
    Anonymous

• Buy yourself some earplugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I will seperate my 8 year old and 5 year old, they end up forgetting all about it and want to play together. They fight non stop, I sometimes let them work out the issues. Usually once they know I am not going to get involved over something so minor, they will work it out.
    BTW, I love the earplugs idea!!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2009