Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you consider Food Stamps and SSI public assistance?

I just read that Nadya Suleman (the new mom of octuplets, plus 6 other children) stated that she does not receive public assistance. 3 of her older 6 children are disabled and on SSI. She also receives $490 a month in Food Stamps. So, my question is you consider SSI and food stamps public assistance or not?

Here is the article, if you want to read it.

Answer Question

Asked by 2kids19yrsapart at 11:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • Yes, it is public assistance. Where does the money for the food stamps come from? Your pocket if you pay taxes.

    Answer by kittensandpup at 11:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • Of course it's public assistance. The public is paying for it. It's not a bad thing, if it's temporary.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • If it's from the government, then it is public assistance.

    Answer by pupmom at 11:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • I agree with you all. I consider it public assistance also. But for this mom to deny she is on public assistance...I don't agree with that. To this mom of octopulets-PLEASE tell the truth mom. You are receiving public assistance, we almost all have at one time or another (whether it is medicaid, FS, WIC, etc). It is nothing to be ashamed of. But when you are in the press denying it, and we all know it is true...admit it!!

    Answer by 2kids19yrsapart at 11:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • wouldn't it be funny if she was a mom on here LOL

    anyway yes I believe that they are both public assistance.

    Answer by ZaTa at 11:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • I dont consider SSI public assistance the same as I do TANF and Food stamps because someone is medically disabled to qualifty so its a bit different to me. I have two special needs kids and could have gotten SSI but havent so far. The money for that does go to the extra care needed for the disabled person. And wow she gets less than $500 a month in FS? In CA? Thats not much. I know people who get alot more then that. She must have some income coming in somewhere and include her parents income.

    Answer by gemgem at 11:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • i do but that said, where i think she is wrong, i'd rather her have assistance than those children go hungry.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • SSI is Federal assistance as it is often for disabilities. Public and federal are not the same, Food Stamps are state assistance.

    Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 12:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • I don't think SSI is but food stamps definately are.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • I would have to that she is recieving goverment assistance. I think that public assistance would be more of a volunteer thing. Like people coming to her home to help out or people helping in other ways that is not monetary.

    Answer by joesluv at 1:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.