Is love reason enough to stay in a relationship?

I have been dating a guy for going on 3 years now and we have broken up several times. Finally after the last break up he has spent more time at my house,however I feel like I am not only raising my 3 kids,but him as well as his child when he is here. The man does not get along well with my kids, he doesn't help out around the house and if he does,he does it half way. He doesn't understand my stress of being a mom and full time college student,and I go out of my way to do nice things for him,but he totally not that way for me. I am unhappy and stressed out of my mind and I don't know what to do. He is trying to do better,but he just isn't a family man. He is a great provider and will give us money and buy things to make up for his lack of nurturing, but he just isn't compassionate like I am. This is really hard and I need to make a decision for all of us,I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Momofthree853

Asked by Momofthree853 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• I forgot to mention that he does love me unconditionally,but there is just so much else I need that he can't seem to provide without hands on guidence.
    Momofthree853

Answer by Momofthree853 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Sorry, but that doesn't sound like love to me.

So I vote "no".

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Honestly I stopped reading when you said he doesnt get along with your kids. In that case he will never be a good father for your household or a manly role model for your children. THAT should be enough to let him go.
    No love isn't enough. Love can still be childish, abusive (not that yours is)...it doesnt equal great and worthy relationship.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yeah me too..the part where you said he does not get along with your kids...RED flag..
    Maybe what you feel for him is just plain Habit..You sound like you know what love is,and he just does not deliver it. Move on, as hard as it may seeem, but very possible. You want a man that loves you and your children and helps out around the house...some one who gets it.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• hmm.. sounds like my gemini man.. typical trait im in the same boat..but im about to leave his dumb ass..its not worth it. there is better out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It doesn't sound like he is that into you and your kids.
    Find a different guy.

Answer by louise2 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• IMO the kids are more important then ANY man. If he can't "get along" with them he aint worth it. You need someone who will love You & THE KIDS :)
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Love is never enough. Its a popular myth.

Answer by gemgem at 11:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• By you saying he doesnt get along well with your kids... do you mean he treats them badley or just doesnt act like a father figure?? If he is treating them badley then you need to leave him if he just isnt acting all daddy like........ some men just arent into the whole Beaver Cleaver family life it doesnt mean they dont love you or your kids!! but if he is treating you good and isnt mean to your kids then yes I say love is ALWAYS enough its gotten me through alot!! good luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You say he loves you unconditionally- I don't see that. Love is not just a feeling it is an action. He has to be man enough to care about the things that affect you. You say he doesn't understand the pressure of being a mom and a college student, it sounds like he doesn't even try to understand. You've broken up several times, it's time to move on.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2009