Restroom pass at school

My kids are 12 and in jr high. They're telling that the teachers never let them use the restroom. They are given two paases each 6 weeks. And one teacher rewards students that do not use them by adding to their final grade at the end of the 6 weeks.
Okay, my son was told today, his grade could have been better last 6 weeks if he hadn't gone to the restroom. Help me understand this?
They have 5 minutes between classes often to from building to building.
And what about girls - my daughter has started her mensteral cycle and should be allowed to use the restroom.
Does anyone else have an issue with this?
My kids are good kids, in andvanced classes and make good grades.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2012 in

• Absolutely! I hate that some teachers have made what is a basic human function off limits! I would be talking to the teachers ASAP & if that doesn't get you anywhere, go to the principal. Still not satisfied, then go above him to the board of education. As But Mommie said, unless they are abusing the "privilege" let them use the damn bathroom for Pete's sake!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• This issue baffles me all the time. Unless the kid is abusing the right, they should be allowed to go to the bathroom as needed with in reason. Obviously sometimes they may have to wait a few minutes for a better time but in general. Kids, especially middle schoolers, know when they need to pee and when it is appropriate to ask.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• They should not restrict bathroom passes to twice every 6 weeks and grades should NOT be affected. There should be one bathroom pass per classroom and each child should be able to use it as needed.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• That is ridiculous! I would get a note from your doctor stating that your children need to be able to use the restroom as needed, how ever often that is. That is generally the only way to get around that stupid school rule.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• Habitually waiting to long to urinate causes UTIs. More people need to bring this up to school boards where anyone has these ridiculous policies to get them overturned at the district level.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• Its not making sense, You need to go to the school and find out what they mean by this.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• WTF? This is such crap to me. My kids are younger than yours but have the same problem (less restrictive). Kids need to use the bathroom! If kids are screwing around in the bathroom (and mine do not) then let the kid suffer if you must by punishing individually. This thing where no one ever gets to pee is unhealthy and ridiculous. I'd talk to the principal and make a stink about it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• I call bull, if you kid ( the boy) needs to go, he should be able to do it between classes, if your girl asks to use the restroom and is denied, this is a human rights violation,, I have a feeling you kid gave you an excuse and would be calling that teacher to clarify.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• It was a rule in my school growing up, and I survived it...period and all. It is still a rule in our local districts. There is before school, lunch, and after school if they cannot make it during the breaks.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• i just learned in my classroom management class that both of those are BIG no-nos! its one thing to require passes & letting the teacher know you're going & signing out, but to add on to the grade if you dont have a small bladder...stupid! it doesnt foster a positive community, it doesnt teach kids about the real world, and it tells the students "we dont trust you". if anything you should be able to get them to stop the "more points if you dont use the passes" thing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2012