"Town Hall Meetings"?

What is the purpose to the "town hall meetings" that president Obama is holding around the country? Wouldn't his time be better spent working to make a compromise on the stimulus plan?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a permanent campaign he is on. See Whitehouse.gov for proof. Campaigning is all he knows how to do well, he can't board Marine One without banging his head, he locked himself out of his office yesterday, and he can't reach across the aisle as promised. The whole transparency issue is a little "cloudy" these days too. So he has reverted back to what he knows, stumping.
    Because the people are calling their Reps. and he now has to address the people directly to get them convinced of his ideologies and hopefully stop calling their Reps. The spending bill has an approval rating by the US citizens of 35%. So he is trying to get support the only way he knows how, campaigning for it.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• LouDobbs.com has all the phone numbers to call your reps. Call them!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Very well said Akinbottom2
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• He is trying to get support for this Pork bill hes trying to pass. Its very unpopular among people for the most part. My understanding is that they think sending Obama out will help getting support to have it passed. I called my 3 state senators this morning and representative to express my opposition. Only one is voting for it and I let her know I was not impressed.

Answer by gemgem at 11:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• this is an awesome thing he is doing.
    he's getting into towns and getting into communities and talking to people.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• president bush held town hall meetings too!
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0112/04/se.04.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10969-2005Mar29.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• and so did president clinton:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/race/stories/akron1204.htm
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• When people have tactics that do not work or become fearful, they revert back to what they know has worked in the past and what they feel comfortable with. IMO Osama is not comfortable in Washington dealing with the word NO, Press Conferences that don't go well, and Republicans that tell him like it is. Having office doors that don't open with the words "open says me" is a bit troublesome too. So back to stumping he goes, where he looks cool calm and collected and that is what people want to see when they are scared to death, because he keeps telling them to be.
    Be scared people! Now look at me, I'll save you.
    Sound familar??? It's 2008 all over again.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• wow, akin... so would you say the same thing about bush? or clinton?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2009