Doesn't it make you mad when people mistake the sex of your kid?

Last summer my daughter was about 8 months old and was sitting in the cart at the grocery store. She had on a pink dress with watermelons on it, this woman came up to me and asked if she was a boy or a girl..not cool. I could see if she had on like a white shirt or something.. but pink, seriously. It happens all the time with my daughter bc she has short hair still. But I try to make sure she's wearing pink or flowers because it really bothers me for some reason when she gets mistaken for a boy.

Mom2vanna

Asked by Mom2vanna at 11:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was in 7th grade and a waiter said to my mother, "What will your older son be having?"....and I was the older son!

It happens - geesh.

(Next summer I developed, thank goodness!!)
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:47 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Well I have a boy and I've never had anyone think he's a girl but I've had people ask. That doesn't bother me cuz when they're little and all bundled up it's hard to tell. But I was out with my neice when she was about 7 months and she had on purple pants, pink shoes, pink shirt with a big flower on it and had pink and purple bows in her hair (she had a lot of it!!). A little boy came up and said "daddy, look at the baby girl" and the dad said "no hunny, it's a boy". WTF? I was speechless.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Girl, it happens everyday to everyone. The older people ALWAYS ask that, even if you have a sign on them saying, "I am a girl". With the grandbabies, I just laugh about it. Who is it bothering anyway. I think sometimes, it's just their way of making conversation.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It only bothers me when it's super obvious haha. Like my daughter was wearing a purple headband and she was all in purple and someone asked me if it was a boy or a girl!! LOL. He does look like a little boy though with her little short hair. I love her though. My mom said that used to happen to her all the time with me, even with my ears pierced and decked out in pink. People would be like aww your son is so cute bwahaha. dammit I don't look like a boy now!

xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 11:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• LOL! people always thought I was a boy because my mom always had my hair chopped super short. She tried piercing my ears so people could catch on but that didn't make a difference. I remember one time going to the bathroom at a store and a lady stopped me and said "No honey that's the girls bathroom!" : ( I never cut my hair anymore, I'm traumatized!
    momof3jll

Answer by momof3jll at 12:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It happens to me all the time, but I don't get mad...It happens to either gender. I dated a guy with long hair, and it was always, "How are you ladies doing today?" LOL. My DDs have also both gone through it, and I just correct them nicely.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I couldn't care less. If they think my daughter is a boy, they say, "Oh, he's so strong and handsome!" If they think she's a girl, they say, "Oh, isn't she precious." I'd rather her be seen as strong than freaking precious!!!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 12:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Older people tend to call my daughter a "he" all the time. I think it's just a habit for them or something, even my own grandma calls her a "he". She doesn't do it to just her though, she called all my female pets "he" when I was growing up.

But yeah. I put pink on her ALL the time. What. Zee. Phuck.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• No, I don't get mad, I think they are either VERY unobservant or just foolish -.-'
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My first born daughter was bald, I use to put a pink ribbon band around her head, she had pierced ears wearing pink and people would ask if my baby was a boy or girl...Drove me crazy!!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009