How do I get rid of a rash on my 21 month old son's tush from diahrea?

I've just tried cornstarch and A & D. The wipes my hubby and I by irritate the rash even more. I gave him a shower (our house doesn't have a bath) to at least make him feel better.....he didn't even cry then. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

jilligan362

Asked by jilligan362 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He probably has a yeast infection from the diarrhea and it not being treated soon enough. Not your fault, all moms think it's just a bad diaper rash. See your Dr. for some Nystatin and that will clear it up. You need to put that on first, then diaper rash ointment to keep it on there.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I also suggest buying different wipes.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Have you tried Desitin? If it is painful and hurting him, you can always use crisco. (you know the white lardy stuff) I know it's gross, but it sure does relieve the pain. It's a good old tip from my grandmother, bless her soul.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Instead of wipes use warm wash clothes to wipe his hiney and don't put nothing else let it air dry atleast until the rash blows over. I hope he feels better :)

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I'd try a triple antibiotic such as neosporin. Wiping gently with a clean cloth. Pat dry the area. Then apply.

Answer by Bmat at 12:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I gotta go with the first answer, my daughter got a yeast infection from that too. I took her to the doctor and he gave me over the counter, Tolifolinate or one time it was Blue Star ointment. They are inexspensive and really, it can't hurt to try it. I don't even take her to the doc when I see it, I just go to the store and pick some up and it clears up pretty quick. Oh yeah, change to Pampers sensetive, or a wipe with no alcohol in it, and get wipes that are soft and pliable, not rigid and tough.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Instead of using wipes use a wash cloth to wipe him because the alcohol burns and hurts him. I would take him to see his dr. then if not jus use some balmex and vasoline. It will clear up within few days.
    Anonymous

• For the next few poopy diaper changes, clean him up with wipes and that wash his hiney and pat dry everytime. The water will sooth him..then liberally put on Desitin Original diaper rash cream (not the night time cream) The important thing is that you have to wash him. Works everytime and will go away in a few days.
    Anonymous

• MY SON GETS REALY BAD RASHES TO YOU NEED TO GO 2 THE DR AND ASK THEM FOR NYSTATIN OINTMENT AND THEN YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO USE WIPIES AT ALL THE DR TOLD ME TO USE A WET CLOTH DONT USE WIPIES EVEN IF THEY SAY FOR SESITIVE SKIN, FRAGRANCE FREE, THEY STILL DONT WORK. AND LET HIM RUN AROUND NAKED FOR A LIL WHILE JUST PUT SOME SHORTS ON HIM WITH NO DIAPER
    SUMMER28

Answer by SUMMER28 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• 1. Have the pedi take a look to be sure it's not a yeast infection.

2. Warm washcloth to clean his diaper area until it heals.

3. Allow him to go with out a diaper for a bit to air dry

4. Aquafor is great for healing diaper rash (if that's what it is) and is also great for creating a barrier to prevent it in the first place.

5. Buy alcohol free, unscented wipes in the future.

Hope he's feeling better soon!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2009