5 month old afraid of water?

We have been bathing my 5 month old son in the big bath for about 3 months now because he was too big for the infant tub (he's really tall, err..long). All of a sudden about 3 weeks ago he became terrified of the bath. Whenever I take him in to the bathroom at night he clings to me and as soon as I set him in the water he screams. We tried getting one of those inflatable duckie baths thinking maybe it was the hardness of the bath that bothered him but he seems to actually scream louder in that. I have also tried bathing with him, putting a portable heater in the room to make it warmer, adding lots of toys, taking away lots of toys, changing the water temp (not too hot or too cold), talking to and reassuring him, putting him in the tub dry with water in a pan to splash, and bathing him at different times during the day nothing seems to work!! He doesn't scream when he goes in the dry tub, just when there's water. Any advice?

beekergirl

Asked by beekergirl at 11:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you the only one who bathes him? Is it possible someone else bathed him, dropped him in the water and scared him but was too afraid to tell you?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My dh sometimes bathes him - he's only done it once when I wasn't there. I suppose it's possible, but I'm pretty sure he would tell me. I can't imagine something like that happening and him not telling me. I will ask him when he comes home from work though.
    beekergirl

Answer by beekergirl at 12:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yeah maybe just ask. Slips happen and since it didn't hurt him he may not have felt a need. Don't accuse of course..just let him know you're trying to figure out why he's so afraid all of a sudden. But other than that I don't know. You may have to see a doctor about it. Good luck.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009