Is this true??

This is not intended to start drama, but a few weeks ago there was a debate on here and some one said that blacks were also slave owners.

is this true or false??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It was all about economy. If you could afford to purchase a slave, then you were not as "black" as the poor people that couldn't afford to own a slave, and therefore, you were better than them. Slaves were a huge part of every culture and in some, still are. It depends on the culture regarding what "type" of person is considered so worthless that they can be owned. I myself think slavery in any form is cruel and absolutely unforgivable, but my family was slaves. They aren't black. It was just the black people that were sold and used as slaves. There was a lot of other races that were treated this way when they came to America, from the best of my knowledge.
    Anonymous

• Yes it is true it is also true that blacks sold blacks to Americans back then.

I don't see why we are going here though lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yes it is true. Slaves were sold into slavery originally by their fellow countrymen in Africa. They came here and became slaves. There were wealthy blacks and biracial people in the US as well. They had slaves just the same as any other race did.

Answer by gemgem at 12:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• someone stated at the Egyptians are black and that they were slave owners, is this true and if it is where would i find information on this subject??
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• TRUE
    Anonymous

• stuff like this should be googled so that it won't start a huge argument on here.
    Anonymous

• The slaves were taken from tribes in Africa by the more "well to do" Africans who were black and sold. Even then there was prejudice as to who was "blacker".
    Anonymous

• There's no way to know whether Egyptians were black or were more Middle Eastern-looking. But my guess is that there were all kinds of Egyptians, depending on what part of Egypt they lived in and what particular time frame they lived in.

And yes, wealthy Egyptians absolutely owned slaves and employed the poor to work for them for very little pay. How else do you think the pyramids were built?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2009