Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

WI food stamp eligibility question

Hi, I was wondering if any of you moms know what the qualifications are for WI residents to apply for food stamps.

The reason I am asking is my husband's company let go 14% of its employees on Friday, (husband included). He was the main wage earner in our house, although I do have a full-time job and I still have a salary coming in. Thankfully the kids and I are covered on my health/dental insurance - so we don't have to worry about insurance coverage ending on the kids.

So now I am considering options, seeing what (if any) help is out there and if we qualify. Husband does have severance pay, and a month of paid vacation time coming, so we will be ok for a while. I am staying positive and hoping that husband will find a job soon.

So if you have any advice, suggestions or positive thoughts I'd appreciate it.



Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2012 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • the website will give you the numbers if you qualify
    if unsure- are closer to income line- i would call office and ask to set up appt
    if you make a few dollars too much, many they have suggestions on some other programs that can help fill in the void

    also food panties - you do not have to be as poor as you do for food stamps, make some calls to local food panties and/or food share programs

    sorry your husband was laid off
    hope for good news for your family soon

    Answer by fiatpax at 10:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2012

  • JeremysMom

    Answer by JeremysMom at 9:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2012

  • Use the above website and apply online.

    Answer by booklover545 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

  • I would call today and ask. Income is a big one.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2012

  • Also, if you have kids under 5 there is WIC. Their wage limits aren't as low as those for food stamps.

    Answer by missanc at 11:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2012

  • I would simply call the office or take a quick run in to find out. You will not qualify until his severence/salary runs out.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

  • You pretty much have to send them your amount of money you spend on bills in a month and a copy of your latest pay stubb and if you are in the bracket then you will receive benafits give it a shot hope this helps!

    Answer by bigbee1 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

  • Maybe, They will ask for all that info. they will ask how much in the bank. How mucn coming in. What I would do is .. I was in the same position as you .... WAIT for your severage to run out. Then apply when you have your uneployment papers. Use that income to give to them. YOu should qaulity but you might not. We did, but I waited to apply after the severage ran out. we are also on WIC. Wic you will def. quality for. But with your income and uneployement chances are low .... Good luck ....

    Answer by team2008 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

  • Good Luck hope he finds a job soon or you get the help you need

    Answer by Alisim at 6:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2012