How did the heart get it's shape?

We all know that our own hearts do not look this way even though the one with it being red and pointy at the bottom and curvy on top looks beautiful.
Compared to our chicken thigh in our bodies....oohhh! that is gross...LOL
just a thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have often wondered that too. I remember in my health class the first time I saw a diagram of a heart, I was so confused, because that wasn't what a heart looked like as far as I was concerned.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• The popular drawing of a heart is in no way related to the anatomical organ. Where the popular drawing came from I have no idea. The heart has 4 chambers and it's shape is directly related to their function. The two upper chambers are receiving chambers and are therefore smaller, the lower two actually pump the blood to the lungs and out to the body. Because of this they are bigger and have more muscle.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• From wikipedia:
    "What the traditional "heart shape" actually depicts is a matter of some controversy. It only vaguely resembles the human heart. Some people claim that it actually depicts the heart of a cow, a more readily available sight to most people in past centuries than an actual human heart. However, while bovine hearts are more similar to the iconic heart shape, the resemblance is still slight.

(here it mentions the female shape, I didn't want to include it here)

Ancient silver coin from Cyrene depicting a silphium seed or fruit.Another possible origin can be seen on the coins of the ancient city of Cyrene, some of which depict the seeds or fruit of the now-extinct silphium plant. The seeds are distinctly heart-shaped. Since this plant was widely used as an ancient herbal contraceptive or abortifacient, this shape may have come to be associated with sexuality and love."

Answer by Bmat at 1:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2009