Separation anxiety

I have separation anxiety when I leave my 3 year old daughter... she freaks out too unless she is with my mom or her dad. But is this normal?? I can't stand to leave her or be away from her!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't mind the separation from my 3 year old daughter- I just don't trust that anyone in the world can care for her the way that I do.

She's completely fine without me.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• Semi normal but you are the adult and have to cntrol it so it does not harm your child. She is upset because she is picking up on your feelings.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• Well she is just so shy and I've tried dance class and stuff but servants me there with her in the room. She is with me 99% of the time
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• While this may be a normal reaction, you need to get it under control before it becomes unhealthy. She freaks out because you freak out. You are not giving her the confidence she needs to feel to handle situations without you. As the parent, she looks to you to set the example. You aren't going to be able to be with her forever and for your relationship with her to grow strong, independent and healthy, you shouldn't want to. I know it's hard, but it's time to slowly start letting go.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• I was okay with separation from my four-year-old till Jessica Ridgeway was kidnapped, killed, and mutilated too close to home a few weeks ago. Now I'm pretending to be okay with it so my daughter doesn't get upset, but I'll be very relieved when they catch the abductor!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• Yes it is but it is good to start getting used to being away from her etc. I know it is hard for some Mom's its no problem at all!
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• Um i have that too - crazy - my son will be 5 soon and our family comments how we rarely ever let him out of our site- however we both work full time, he is in daycare and preschool- we MISS the shit out of this child- our weekends and nights are all we have with him - i think that's fair to justify never wanting to leave him _ mean, we HAVE let him stay at his grandma's 4 times, and my mom 2 times ( she doesn't "Get" boys and gets completely overwhelmed by him ) other than that it's an hour here and there maybe 5 times in his 5 years.. I don't know I LOVE spending time with him -but according to my therapist, I also need ME time too - hard work
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• It's crazy because my MIL gets upset that she doesn't ever have her alone... She's 60 years old and my daughter doesn't want to spend time alone with someone she can't even play with. Even then I don't want to leave her alone, ever. When i do she is babysat by my mom because I have younger brothers and sisters who are 4-18 years old. So she has fun. That's a whole different story. I just hate sharing my time
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2012