Homestudy Q

Our kids are older and we're past outlet covers and baby gates. HOWEVER, I do still have them in storage. When we have our home study (not sure about fostering VS adopting at this point) do I put them on/up any way? Just mention we have them? I am trying to figure out all the little things like this I might be overlooking .. this came up suddenly, I thought the process would creep along at a snails pace.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2012 in Adoption

• I wouldn't put them up at the moment, I think they are looking more for a "vibe" than child proofing, that being said, I would hide the margarita maker,, LOL (just kidding)
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• lol. nothing like that, nothing "hide worthy". just been awhile since I've had to think about little LITTLE kids and I don't want them to think I'm not current with safety and stuff. I never thought we'd be worthy candidates in the 1st place because me (the one who is home and the main kid wrangler) has vision & kidney problems.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• I t couldn't hurt and be sure to tie up your cords.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• You shouldn't need them. We didn't. Just make sure your smoke detectors work and you have a fire extinguisher.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 3:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• Wow, congratulations on being worthy candidates. I tried with vision problems, and the people at the county couldn't wait to show me the door.

I wouldn't put up the gates and outlet covers yet, but mention that you have them. When my brother had a home study for becoming a foster parent, the social worker seemed to be looking for basic cleanliness, lack of chaos, safe places for kids to play and sleep, that kind of thing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• Good luck! I don't think it's necessary to have them on, just mention it if safety comes up
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• When we did our homestudy, our house was not baby-proofed at all. It was mentioned, however, that we would have to get it that way before the baby starts moving around.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• I think you are okay without them. Good luck!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2012

• I owuld mention to them when they come for the home inspection that you have them and would be putting them in when you get them. Ours was concerned more about Lead paint, smoke detectors, fire extingishers, hot water, enough space in the home and food in the home.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• They'd probably think you were a little goofy or overprotective if you put them up now, since your kids aren't little anymore! In my experience, the fost-adopt people are mostly concerned with safety, and the agencies are mostly concerned with relationships. Since you have parenting experience, that will be a plus. You could just mention all of the child safety things you plan to do, maybe mention what you did the first time and what you might do differently this time. You could even ask if they have any suggestions. The cribs with the drop-down sides have all been recalled and they do not recommend that anyone use them anymore. Good luck! This is an exciting journey you are starting!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2012