Measuring big...I think

Yesterday I went in for a check up and my midwife measured my belly. I am 32 weeks pregnant and she said I measured 34. She acted like this didnt happen too often because she said "hmm... well, we usually give you about two inches." I have no clue what she meant by that. Could it mean that im farther along than what they think or he's bigger than he should be? I really dont think im farther along because this was a planned pregnancy. Has this happened to anyone else?

CarleeDalene

Asked by CarleeDalene at 12:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My measurments waivered a lot in the end. FIrst I was big and then I was small. I think it really depeneds on how the baby is sitting. My friend was measuring pretty small, but an ultrasound showed she was really squashed in there!
    mrsjoeljr

Answer by mrsjoeljr at 12:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You can measure big for alot of reasons, body fat, bone structure, big baby, or wrong due date...don't worry until midwife tells you too. I am measuring big as well but no one seems too worried.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• this just happend to me last week... i was suppose to be 31 weeks but i was measuring at 35.... they checked my cervix and stuff & did an ultra sound to check my fluid, everything was fine i guess but she said to wait until my doc apt [ which is tomorrow ] to see if im still measuring big... if you are further along i dont think they will change ur due date because of how far you are, they will just monitor you... But im getting checked for gest. diabetes & a uterus infection when i go....

Are you in any pain? like BAD pain when someone touchs your stomach?....
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I always measured farther along than I was. I wasn't that big, but my uterus grew UP instead of out causing the measurements to be bigger. She did 4 ultrasounds to make sure the dates werent off and he was much smaller than I measured. At one point, I was measuring 6 weeks ahead. He was born at 39 weeks and weighed only 7 lbs 4 oz. with a tiny little 12 inch head. Its probably just that your growing up instead of out.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i measured big through out my pregnancy. i had excessive amnotic fluid. they did an u/s to see if he was getting too big. by the u/s he was already 9-11 lbs. i was only 37 weeks then. i was overdue when he was born by a week and he weighed 8 15.5 lbs. so the u/s was wrong cause if it was true he would have been 121-15 lbs by then. anyway sorry i am rambling. i think it is normal or common.
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 3:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2009