How can I produce more milk?

My little porker's appetite is increasing and I'm afraid I'm not producing enough milk. I drink lots of milk and water everyday and I'm pumping when I'm away from him so I don't know what else to do. I've already started to mix rice cereal with my milk and it's not enough. Isn't there a supplement I can take to help? And also when can I start feeding him baby food?

Makaiosmama

Asked by Makaiosmama at 12:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is he?
    Anonymous

• he'll be 4 months next Tuesday. :)
    Makaiosmama

Answer by Makaiosmama at 12:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Not sure about the milk supply. We started baby food at 6 months though, that was when our pediatrician recommended it.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 12:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Visit La Leche League's website www.LLLi.org for info and even find a local mom to help answer any breastfeeding questions. Some hospitals also have "Lactation Consultants" which will answer questions. You can increase your milk supply by letting your baby nurse as often as he wants. You can also pump milk mid-way between feedings to stimulate your body to produce more. Avoid feeding him rice cereal or other suppliments as that will just fill his belly and he'll drink less from you. Some babies also use the pacifier so much, they don't feel like sucking anymore once they reach the breast. So ditch it for a while and let him suckle as much as he wants. The more often you feed him, the more milk you will produce. Also, don't think that just because you don't hear him swallow, he's not getting anything. HE IS! He is getting the super rich hind milk which is what he needs. Keep him on the breast for 40 minutes then switch
    mommieof2b

Answer by mommieof2b at 1:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Every doctor says to start solid foods at 6 months. Until then, breastmilk is all your baby needs.
    mommieof2b

Answer by mommieof2b at 1:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Is it that you are not able to pump enough for when you are apart? Or is it that you THINK you are not making enough while nursing?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I started my baby on cereal at 4 months too... you'll be okay.

Drink lots of water. I recently found out that eating oatmeal helps your milk supply too. I start every day with a bowl of oatmeal now. There's also a mother's milk tea...I've never used it but I hear it works well.

Good Luck!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• just latch him on whenever you can.. you don't want to supplement, because when he starts taking something other than breast, your milk supply can decrease... the best you can do is just keep on the breast as much as possible! even when your craddeling him and hes kind of 'playing' with your breast, that is stimulation.. let him feed every hour if he wants to, the more he is on the breast the more you will make.. thats what stimulates the milk... also, rest!!! you have to rest too... thats a huge part of it, they say your not even supposed to work out in the first 6 mo of breastfeeding... this stuff really works, i had the same problem and did this stuff, now i produce more than he needs, that i need to pump just to relieve my self... he's 6 months now and a little chunk... good luck!! let me know if i can help!! and well done for breastfeeding!!!
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Thanks for the advice guys. I seem to do fine when he's with me (on my breast) but the milk I'm pumping when actually measured doesn't seem alot. The sitter says he's hungry almost every 2 hours exactly and even though I'm pumping at work it doesn't seem to be enough to satisfy him...
    Makaiosmama

Answer by Makaiosmama at 1:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2009