loose dog

A neighbor of mine lets her dog out several times a day and she goes pee and poop in everyone else's yards. We have taken the dog back numerous times and she just says " oh she just roams around our house". We even told her she has almost been hit by cars and the lady says "oh she'll be okay, she's smart". Should we call Animal Control? My husband says it would be the dog who suffers cuz if they take the dog to the pound, the owners may not go get her. Any advice?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 1:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pets

• call animal control!
    if the oners don't go get the dog perhaps some caring people will adopt the dog....so sick of lazy ass owners who don't want to take care of their animals...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 1:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• If the dog was pooping in my yard I'd call animal control. Does your city have a leash law? Animal control might not even take him! I called them when a dog in my neighborhood jumped on my neice and scratched her leg while she was riding her bike. This dog also ran after me when I was pushing my baby in his stroller and barked and growled at us. All they did was notify the owners that there had been a complaint. But after that they kept the dog on a leash in their yard so maybe this woman needs to get a warning from animal control that she needs to keep her dog in her yard.
    Anonymous

• If the dog is not spayed/neutered it is causing an even bigger pet population problem. I would call animal control for unleashed dog. Tell them who the owner is. They will get a ticket...that is usually enough to wake them up.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Sorry, when I read the title of this post I thought it was going to be about a slu tty dog...
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt call animal control..but thats cuz im somewhat against them..i loooove animals to much to want to put them in lil cages..if anything, talk to them again, maybe get a few of the negihbors together to go and talk to them, and just let them know if they DONT smarten up, then youre gonna take measures into your own hands...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• you should find out what the leash laws are in your area. if there are none, then work to get them. i live in a rural area, and unfortunately our animal control is a joke. i have a yard full of the neighbors' dog's crap, and there is barely anywhere for me to take my daughter out to play. my dog is trained very well to go in certain parts of the yard (on a leash like a dog is supposed to), like the ditch where we don't walk, but it seems pointless since i have to dodge other dog's crap. if i were you, i would scoop up all the poo and toss it in her yard. if i knew where these dogs lived in my neighborhood, i'd do it. it's disgusting and i hate it!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Know anyone in her neighborhoodthat wants a dog to love.I would ask her if she wants to get another home for the dog. Since she doesn't seem to care if the dog gets hit by a car or cares where it is, then she doesn't need a dog. Dogs do love to go for walks, but with the owner.Too bad she doesn't have time or sense to be a responsible pet owner. That's what I would tell her. Maybe shaming her into doing the right thing is what she needs. She better be glad I don't live next door to her. I would hate to see the animal hit by a car and have a horrible death, just cause she won't walk her dog, and lets it just run free! Morons are among us!

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 4:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I would just take it to a animal shelter. If the dog is tagged or microchipped, the owners will be notified to claim the dog. If they refuse to come get her, they can be charged with animal abadonment, and the dog will be evaluated for adoption. If they do come get her, they will have to pay fines for letting her run loose, plua a reclaim fee, and will have to prive that she is ip to date with vaccinations (if she's not, then more $$ for them to pay. This should teach them a lesson.

Another thing that you can do is take a photo of the dog dumping in your yard, and make embarrassing flyers, post around your neighborhood, including putting on on their car windshield. Lol!
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 4:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• yes i would call it in... i would also take the poop from my yard and put in on her driveway/front porch... you are helping the dog if it is neglected like that and could die anyday anyways getting run over!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Humane euthenasia is better than being hit by a car and laying in pain and suffering for god knows how long before someone does something. Something bad will eventually happen to a dog left to run like this. If the owner does not get her, then at least she has a chance for adoption by a caring family.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2009