Do you feel adults are more harsh about names than children are?

I think adults are more judge mental than kids really. I have heard of kids with pretty strange names and if they had had them when i was little we probably would of made fun because they were so different, but now different is common. when i went to school most names were just your popular mainstream names, but now what is popular is choosing something unconventional and with all of the unconventional names out there right now, I believe that kids do not tease it as much. I know kids with the following names that are somewhat unique or at least aren't top 100 names and they don't get teased.

Damien- It's a popular name but was the name of the anti christ in the omen and no one seems to mind...
Vivian- Was julia roberts name when she played a hooker in pretty woman
Cyrus- There's a character named "cyrus the virus" who was a killer in con-air.
Delilah- a famous biblical bad girl

I also know kids named: Ireland, Maverick, Rumer, Starlett, Hays, Kadem and Channing. None of these kids get teased for their names.

What do you think are adults more harsh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2012 in Baby Names

• I definitely think adults are more harsh. But for the most part we all had more traditional names when we were growing up. Now it's just normal for my kids to go to school with kids with more original names. Sometimes their okay, sometime not.
    I knew a couple guys named Cyrus, neither of them got teased when we were growing up.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Oh no, kids get made fun if for their names at my kids school we have a kid down the way named caper yeah he gets teased all the time, he's 7 and is already like I'm changing my name when I turn 18. I think adults are harsh in a way that we know a kid will get made fun of like meooma said its more realistic thinking.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• I really had an odd name going to school. There are always gonna be some kids that make fun of others about something. Having an odd name just makes it much easier for them.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• If its not a name kids will make fun it will be something else. Kids are cruel and will pick on others for anything.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• *their should by they're - sorry!!!

Answer by missanc at 9:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• are you kidding me? kids make fun of almost anything, and i bet ya dollars2donuts those celebrity names you've listed are made fun of.
    heck, if people can make fun of the name Lisa, they can use any name in a joke. kids are that way!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:21 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• It's not about kids, it's about grownups. When a child grows up with a screwy spelling of a common name or a totally made up name like Tortishya, it is going to reflect upon them as grownups. There has been studies done on this subject and the less education a baby's parents has, the more outlandish or silly their name will be.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• And there was a kid on my son's soccer team named Avatar. Poor kid
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:24 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• I was in a hurry and didn't come on for a grammar lesson.

My point though is what others mentioned. If a child doesn't like another child they will make fun of them even if their name is Sarah, so in the end why does it matter? I think adults are more harsh because a lot of the time if the adult doesn't point out that the name is "unusual" the kid will not notice. I am not saying there is not an exception, of course some kids will make fun of names there is also a chance they won't. I had a friend who no one liked in school and everyone called her Dan the Man, her name was Danielle that's not unusual and she still got teased for it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Sometimes the names are not only unusual, they are stupid and your name is the first introduction people have to you. If your name is Rumer, and a prospective employer is sitting with your resume in front of her and sees that name...misspelled...
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2012