If your child committed a crime, any crime, would you turn them in?

I am just thinking about that poor NJ girl and those teens that killed her. It was their own mother that lead the police to them.
I would turn them in.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Yes I would. They HAVE to learn to take responsibility. If its stealing a candy bar at 7, or robbing a bank at 20, or killing someone at 25. They have to learn its not okay to just take what they want or hurt other people. Would my heart break? Of course. Would I testify on their behalf and beg the judge and jury for mercy? Absolutely. They're still my baby. But they need to face up to their actions too.
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Yes.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Honestly it would depend of the severity of the crime. If it involved physically hurting another then yes.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Yes.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• yeah

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• I would for something horrible like that!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• As much as it would kill me, as much as I would hate to do it, and as much as I wouldn't want to do it - yes, I would turn them in if they committed a crime. As much as I might wish I could bend/break the rules for my kids, they have to follow the rules just like I do, and you do, and everyone else does. And if I'd turn in any other person (which I would), then I'd have to turn in my kids too.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Yes. Because it would also be the path for my own child's well being. He would have to pay his debt back to society. I would stand behind him, support him, but I would support justice and the law as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Sadly yes I would. I would not want to have the blood of other inocent people in my hand just because I kept my mouth shut
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Yes and I have. My own dd was 16 and I turned her in for shop lifting. Then when she turned 18 she took to the road and got into prostitution. Whenever they picked her up she lied and told them she was younger then she was. I always told them the truth and even offered to fax her birth certificate as sometimes I was condemed for not reporting my 16/17 year old missing.

She has since straightened a lot of her life around and doing half way decent.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2012