My 4 mo loves water....

I'll give a little to her in a sippy cup whenever I feed her solids. She doesn't get very much in her mouth and what she does get usually just falls right out, but she seems to love the feel of it in her mouth. Is it okay for her to have water this early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no.. they say no water until 6 months, then no more than 6 oz a day until a year coz it can dialate their kidneys causing brain damage... thats what i read... but then i dunno how the formula thing works.... coz thats mixed with water.....?? check it out
    Anonymous

• Uh, yeah...water isn't good for babies that little. Ask your doctor.
    Anonymous

• but it's in formula... I don't see how it would hurt her.
    Anonymous

• i would have to say no. When my daughter was just a couple months old she was in the hospital for 4 days because of a UTI. Her doctor said that some kids need water earlier tahn others. I would not give her much maybe 6 oz. or less and not at once. If she really likes the water give her about an ounce and don't let her drink it too fast. They say that children shouldn't drink it until they are about 6 months but I think that is bologna. I would definitely make sure that it is nursery water or boiled and set to room temp. I have two kids and they both started drinking water at about 3 months. They were also born closer to summer months and the formula would make them sick on hot days. So I would give them a little water to keep them hydrated.
    joesluv

Answer by joesluv at 2:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My dr. gave my dd infection med for an ear infection, and on the bottle it is instructed to give plenty
    of water. She is 3 months old, so I don't know why not, the instructions said to do so.
    Anonymous