Ashamed of my seizures... (sorry vent)

I have had seizures for 32 years. I have always been embarrassed when I have them in public. I had one last night at a band concert that my son was in. They stopped the concert and everything until I was okay. I just wanted to go to the car when I became aware of it. My dh doesn't understand. I know there is no reason for me to be embarrassed. Unless you actually have them, it's hard to understand. He gets mad when I start crying, when this happens. Any way I might could get him to understand from my point of view???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2012 in Health

• What a jackass. My mom has grand mal seizures and I'd punch my dad in the mouth if he was ever nasty to her about it. Seriously he will never understand and that makes me so very sad for you.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Aww, I'm very sorry. My dad started having seizures 20 yrs ago. He had his first one at work & it scared the hell out of me. At first everyone thought it was a heart attack. It's scarier to those who don't realize it's a seizure and something you deal with. My dad is terrified of having one in public because of that.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Hugs :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• I can understand how you feel. My great fear is drawing attention to myself in a medical way. It must be very difficult for you.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• i understand just how you feel. I was born with them and i have the worst one which are called grand mal seizurs. when i was growing up kids from school would pick on me and do thing to try to make me have one. I did not like telling people that i have them because i did not want to lose the few friends i do have. So this is what i do. Like at work i told them that i have seizures and for me i can feel it before i have one. So i told my co workers that if i ever see me lie down on the floor that they should call 911 because thats the sign of the seizures. but some people still don't no. when i am not feeling to good i just stay home but never alone until it pass. I hate when i have them because it takes so much out of me. the only thing i want to do after is go to sleep
    iman34

Answer by iman34 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• I' m sorry. That would be really frustrating. HUGS.
    Anonymous

• ^^Did not mean to answer anon.^^
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• I have them and I know what you mean. I have more than one kind, and absence seizures are more embarrassing to me than grand mal. At least with grand mal, people KNOW it's a seizure. With absence seizures I just stand there staring at someone/something and drooling all over myself.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 2:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2012