• In the Spotlight:

aggression

My 5 year old is so aggressive towards her little brother who is almost 4. She just started this recently I don't know what it is. She his him, she chokes him, she kicks him she calls him names. I was just looking for some advice on how to deal with this. I have tried timeouts and taking away something she loves but nothing works. Any advice would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You keep punishing her for her aggression and she will link the punishment to her brother and it will only get worse. Does she feel like he gets more attention, is she in school while he gets to stay home? Little things like this are big things to little ones. Until you really know why she is doing this, putting a stop to it will be hard.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• A friend of mine put her 6 year old daughter in therapy for an almost identical situation, and she said it helped immensely. Have you considered that?
    meghanlomaniac

Answer by meghanlomaniac at 4:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2009