Is high blood pressure Irreversible without medication?

If I were to have high blood pressure can I help that with diet and exercise or do I have to take medication?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2012 in Health

• Depends. I have had high bp since I was in my early 20's It's gotten worse over the last few years, but it is dropping down to medication controlling level since I started exercising every day. My weight has no bearing on it.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• You can help it with diet and exercise. Your physician should be able to advise you more, but in most cases you can bring it down without medication.

Answer by missanc at 1:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• It can be brought on by weight gain but it is usually hereditary so medication is eventually necessary.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Traditional doctors want a quick turn-around, so they'll prescribe medication. But if you're looking for a more natural way to reduce your high blood pressure, go in for a consultation with a natreopath or a wholistic practitioner... They're less likely to prescribe traditional meds.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• off medication for 5 years on it for 10 year Calcium makes BP go up, prunes and CoQ10 brings it down. Avoid sodium and stress
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• Nope. It is entirely controllable if you are willing to study yourself and learn what causes your blood pressure to elevate and then are willing to make the changes that precipitate the causes. My husband is the perfect example---if you need one!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2012