I think I may have an eating disorder....

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING IF YOU ARE GOING TO COMMENT-AND PLEASE DONT BE RUDE.... Anyway I have come to believe that I have an eating disorder. Over eating/binge eating. I grew up without my mom and my dad raised me. He was a great father but I think he's the reason my perception of beauty and eating turned out horrible. He always told me not to eat this or that and made me weigh myself weekly and tell everyone that was there how much I weighed and he'd constantly tell me when I was getting fatter or he'd tell me I looked pregnant or how I'd never get a man because no man wants a fat woman. (I swear other than this he was a great dad and still is). Anyway, I went through highschool overeating even when i wasnt hungry and felt like I had to hide what I was eating and when and then when I'd gain weight I'd starve myself until I got back to a certain weight. After highschool I got my own place because I was so depressed from my dad being overly controlling and I lost my job and so on. Things got better for a while and I had finally fell in love with my body and started exercising and eating right and everything. I gained about 20 pounds when I cut my foot open and had to get stitches and was on crutches for a month and then had an ingrown toenail and had to have surgery and so on and I ended up getting depressed again. I found out I was pregnant and was VERY VERY sick for the first 5 months bc of heart burn and the wrong vitamins and I lost 30 pounds. My daughter was born VERY healthy and happy and I started working out whenever i healed and I started being a full time stay at home mom and quit working out and put my daughter first (gladly) I have picked up my overeating habits again and dont work out and dont have a job (which i have been looking) and I've started to hate my body again. I went from 191 after having my daughter to 265 19 months later. I'm scared to death i'm going to develop diabetes(it runs in my family and my aunt died from it) so i know I need to start doing something. However after gaining the weight I feel awful about myself and don't even wanna leave the house, but I KNOW i need to do something, anything because i do want to be there to watch my child grow up. Where should I start with resolving the eating disorder? Do you think I have an eating disorder? Thanks for the help. Oh and to add a little more I dont even feel the slightest bit pretty anymore. I absolutely feel ashamed of what I look like. :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2012 in Health

• I may be way out of line, but you sound depressed. Have you considered counseling? With a controlling parent it's very difficult to get past things like this without some help. I wish you luck and hope you find yourself on the right track again.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• I think if not an eating disorder, a scarring issue from your father - those are horrible comments ot hear and grow up with and in turn, totally make you over eat and binge -do you purge or starve completely? your metablolism is probably shot at this point! which makes it a thousand times hard to lose weight - I think for starters, talking to your general physician would be a good start, they could give you tools and places to check out -good luck mama - I still battle my eating disorder though I've never been honest enough to tell anyone
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• I think you have an emotional problem that you try to treat with food. I think probably some therapy with some exercise and a healthy diet you can get back on the road to a more healthy you and with the tools to avoid treating your emotional issues with food.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:11 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• I've dealt with depression for a while now and I do think its gotten worse. It all seems to revolve around my weight issues and stuff. I've never really wanted to admit I had depression because I feel like I let myself get like this. :( I just don't want to drag my daughter and fiance down with me. I do think I need to see a therapist but I can't afford it I thought about talking to my dr but my brother was dealing with depression and I saw the medication he had to take and he was like the walking dead and he finally quit completely and things got so much better for him. I'm scared to admit anything is wrong with me. I think if I had someone to talk to it would help alot.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• I would start with a doctor and therapist for your years at home with a Dad who made some poor choices to bring a spot light on your eating habits. Then I would start with walking. Every darn day, like it or not. Whatever you do, I applaud you for trying to get help. Good luck to you.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Everyone in my family is on the bigger side, even my father and he still tells me now that I'm 21 that I'm fat and stuff. It's very hard to deal with. Ive never purged. I have stopped eating for days at a time in the past but now I over eat. Everyday.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Yup, sounds like you could use someone to talk to
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• I also think I have depression because I over eat, can't ever sleep, don't have any energy, and I dont really take care of myself like I should anymore.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Do yourself a favor. Now don't put this off...make an appt with a local mental health center, just an intake. They can maybe give you payment options or suggestions you can try on your own to get past this.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• if you can't afford your own dr visit, when you take your child to their wellness visits talk to that dr
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2012