childbirth classes?

So its time for me to sighn up for a childbirth class if i wana take one because the one i would need to be in starts next week and they still have several openings. They are 60 dollers which isnt bad but im woundering how many people took them and did you think they were worth it or a waste of money and time? Iv been doing alot of reading so i kind know what to expect but my hubby like many men hasnt done any reading and knows nothing about pregnancy, labor delivery none of that and i was thinking this would kind of force him to learn. LOL i know im evil but are they worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i actually have my second class of those classes this friday... it was a fun experience the first class and im sure the second one will be too.. I think you should take them. its very beneficial, & its helpful for the men to learn ways to help you out during your labor, with relaxation and stuff...

Mine were free, but if i had to pay i would have still taken them
    GO FOR IT!
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• ok long story short i went to free child birth class covered by my insurance.they did not help!!!!they told me o its going to hurt your first baby they do this and that to your baby and o the contractions.. ok for me this is my first baby i was in labor under 6 hrs pushed him out in 20min no complications i could be right after and go number 2 right after and i took the epideral. my baby was healthy and i felt no pain i slept most the time cause of the meds and my son was responding fine. point it they tell you what MOST people have but every birth is a different miricle
    Lauren2008

Answer by Lauren2008 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I went to a childbirth class and it was so much fun and such a learning experience more for my husband than myself. I had a scheduled c-section because my baby was breech, but to me it was still worth it. I wanted to experience every little part of pregnancy and the class was one part! I would do it the same way all over again.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I think it would be worth it to get your DH informed. I also did a lot of reading etc and found that the childbirth classes didn't tell me much I hadn't heard about before, but they were useful for him.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I never took any classes and felt that i was well enough prepared. The only class I wish I had taken was a breastfeeding class.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• you cant go off of other peoples birthing experience....
    What may be beneficial to you, may not have been beneficial to another.
    If you feel as though its worth it than take the classes, its never bad to have TOO MUCH knowledge about things.... esp. for ur man.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Not helpful unless you have not read anything about what happens during childbirth. The breathing techniques were not useful. You will find what works for you in the moment.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I never went to any,just the class for my epideral.
    LND

Answer by LND at 3:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It really depends on what you'd like in a birth experience. If you want a normal birth you may consider a non-hospital class. If you want a medicated birth you might prefer a hospital class. There are actually a lot of options. If costs are a concern, ask the instructor for sliding scale options.

I have taken many classes over the years and would suggest something like Bradley, Birthing From Within or something from another private instructor... depending on what you're hoping for.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yes, they help both you & hubby prepare for what you are about to experience.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2009