So how do you control your children when they are destroying the house without changing their good mood?

My kids love to throw things, and get into everything that they know they are not supposed to. I am expecting and want to have my house spotless for the new baby, but I am always tired and can't keep my house clean. My children are 1 and a half, and 3.

Carli8bsk

Asked by Carli8bsk at 2:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Children need boundaries. They need to learn what is allowable and what isn't. If you are OK with them trashing the house, then OK. If you aren't, then perhaps you should tell them that it is not OK. If they are getting into things that they know they are not supposed to, as you said in your post, then you need to show them who is in charge. It should not be the children, It should be you. You can distract them by playing games with them, but what happens when they are bored, right back to throwing things and getting into things. You want them to know how to follow rules for their own sake and safety. What if next time they decide they'll have great fun doing something dangerous or destructive? Insist on boundaries now when they are little, when they are teenagers it will be too late to start.

Answer by Bmat at 3:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• IMO. Your kids need a little discipline.  Not going to say what kind, but they need some. IMO.

Answer by louise2 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• do an activity with them that you can handle yourself, Like coloring or something....You dont have to discipline your children for playing....
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• thats good iam glad that ur that kind of mom to keep them happy i would just find creative thing to do with them that involves that just keep them in line with what is ok to mess with and not to in my house there is only a few thing my son cant touch but other wise we can fix it or throw it away i am all about keeping my son happy and loving me. just be creative and make things fun i love to do that!!!!
    Anonymous

• Give up the idea of the spotless house.

Give yourself a break.

The baby will be just happy to be around loving siblings!!!!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• two words-positive reinforcement. When my first was very ill and literally throwing up everywhere, my son was in to everything. What calmed the chaos was including him in what I was doing. I started having him do specific assignments for me. You can make getting laundry out of the dryer fun if you reward each success lavishly enough or make it a game. Reward cleaning up their toys or breakfast dishes with things too, like a big hug or sometimes a treat (lollypop?) I've done positive reinforcement with all three and right now my three year old is wiping the table, putting his dishes in the sink, picking up his own toys and helps put the clothes in the dryer while I'm switching loads. He even wanted to help clean the bathroom so I stood him in the shower with a soapy wash mitt on his hands and let him wipe the walls. (No he didn't really do a "good job" yet, but he sure thinks so:) Let them help you!- and have fun:)
    Mickey37

Answer by Mickey37 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 2. She entertains herself most of the day (I'm 35 weeks) without causing major mayhem. She knows the rules and for the most part obeys them. She knows that if she gets disobedient then it means one minute in the corner. Kids are messy so having to clean up at the end of the day is inevitable but they shouldn't be uncontrollable monsters...not saying yours are lol. Your 3 year old is definitly old enough to start helping with simple clean up like putting toys back in the box. Lay down the law and go from there, you don't have to squelch the fun...just redirect their energy and fun into acceptable outlets. Good luck :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Discipline and direct their attention towards something more positive
    Anonymous