Should my 18 month old son be calling me mama or mommy yet?

My son is very smart, he likes to take things apart and put them back together and he knows plenty of words already including mama and dada but i'm just not sure on one thing. I believe he's looked at me and said mama a few times in the past but he doesn't really relate the word mama to me yet. He doesn't call me mama or mommy all of the time and he doesn't call me husband dada, should he be doing this yet? I thought even earlier on they start calling their parents mama and dada alot. When he was 5 months to 7 months my grandparents had him during that time frame due to certain issues i was having at the time so they saw him alot more than i did but many months have passed since then and i've had him ever since...i'm a stay at home mom so he's with me all day everyday. My mom and grandparents still sometimes may get him for a week or 2 every now and then but he's with me the most out of everyone else. I'm just a lil concerned.

Zacharysmom21

Asked by Zacharysmom21 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you referring to yourself as mama? Children learn from repetition so try using some of these phrases: Come to mama, Bring the toy to mama, and so on. He just has to understand clearly what and who mama is, then he won't stop saying it! Good Luck
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 3:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my son stqarted before he turned 1 but i taught it to him. work on him make up games using the word and he'll pick right up
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• As long as he's on track, developmentally, in other areas, don't worry about it. All kids are different. He might be so brilliant that he's decided you already know you are the mama so he doesn't have to address you as such. LOL
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 3:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son calls me mama, mommy, and ma. But like the other mother said, all babies are different. I've seen other kids his age doing things he isn't doing and vice versa.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 4:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Personally, since the day my daughter was born, I always would say, "Hi Mom, Momma, Ma, Mommy" etc... She has been calling me it since she was around 7 months. The same goes with her father. He did the same and she's been calling him dadda for just as long... They are like sponges, they absorb everything and love to mimic you.
    But just as the other mothers have said all children are different. Just be repetitive, and when he does call you Momma be sure to show him how excited you are to hear him!
    Phia77

Answer by Phia77 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my almost 6mo old started saying MAMA a couple days ago.........I know she's prob. not making the connection between MAMA and me yet......but it's still cute to hear!
    kitkatsmommy

Answer by kitkatsmommy at 6:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009