adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 10:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I'll keep an open mind.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2012

• I don't believe it. Nor do I believe he is an actual neurosurgeon. One the neoortex isn't the "human" part of the brain. It is merely the outermost layer of the cerebral hemispheres. It consists of six layers. It is likely only the outermost layer was "inactive" as if all layers were inactive he wouldn't be alive today. The neocortex is involved in higher function such as sensory perception and motor commands, conscious thought and spacial reasoning, the brain has several "cross areas' where many of these functions are also controlled in other areas. So he could, in fact, have had a very vivid "experience" even though the neocortex was "inactive" most of which would have stemmed from information stored in his long term memory and "relived" giving him the idea of visiting the afterlife.
    And I've only taken Anatomy and Physiology to know all this. He's supposed to be a "neurosurgeon".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Hmmm... I'm glad he experienced something that gave him comfort. However, I don't believe it was Heaven. I don't see Heaven as a place, but rather a state of being. I also don't believe you can just go and come back. I don't mean to discredit this guy's and other people's experiences because I'm sure they were very real... to them. However, I don't believe they had an out of body experience or anything like that. These experiences are very much within the mind, I believe. I know this guy is a neurosurgeon, but I'm not so convinced that we know everything there is to know about the human brain. It is likely his experience and the experiences of others who claim similar things are very much a part of the sub-conscious mind.

One thing that leads me to believe this, is what the guy said about God's "home". I don't believe there is such a thing. That sounds like too much human influence to me.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Wish I could believe it, logic and reasoning gets in the way. As usual.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• My mind and heart are open, thanks!

I read 'Heaven is for Real' and '90 Minutes in Heaven' this week. Fascinating stories and I can see where they would fill gullible people with hope, but all in all, just stories.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Just another version of what millions of others in near death experiences have seen and felt, you don't have to be gullible to believe such things, you just need a little spirituality  to do  so....and why not? why does this world we know of be the only one out there? I have always felt, specially after the death of my dear dad, that life cannot end there, and that is it.....there has got to be more..........I say believe whatever gives you comfort and the hell with the skeptical people....

Answer by older at 2:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2012

• Sigh.

Brain surgeons are people, too. Of course they're going to have similar experiences.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• I've read the story before. Interesting but it doesn't speak to me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• i guess now not only do you have to supply links to your posts, you must also supply documented proof of someone's degree/profession. lol.
    funny stuff.
    i'm skeptical..actually, i don't believe it. as a Christian, as uneducated as some would think me to be, i interpret scripture differently..meaning, i do not believe you can 'go and come back'. i also think this one life is what you have..i don't know who goes or what it is like, i just don't believe you are allowed glimpses.
    no scriptural reference, just my own thoughts.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2012

• I believe it. There are things that happen that can't always be ignored or written off as not possible.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2012