What is the best eating schedule for a 6 month old? How much and how often?

I am a first time mom and I would love to figure out a good schedule for this. My son just started fruits and veggies recently, he is still on cereal and of course his bottles. I am trying to figure out when he should have what and how many times a day. I don't want to give him too much at one time during the day. Thanks for your help!!!

Tshepard5100

Asked by Tshepard5100 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine at their meals when we had our meals. If they needed/wanted anything in between meals they got it.

At 6 months mine were taking (and keep in mind they are HUGE eaters) two stage 2 jars of food (or the equivalent) and 8oz of formula from a sippy at each meal. Snacks were some finger foods and about 8oz of juice/water mixed...with another 8oz of formula in a sippy before bed (about an hour or so)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• At 6 months baby food is not their real source of nutriention- breast or formula is. You are starting out now- so it will be a try and see what works thing for a while- all babies are different : ) My kids at that age had bottle first thing when they woke up around 6 am - a mix of cereal & fruit for breakfast 8am, bottle again around 10am. Lunch around noon, as much as they wanted of a jar of fruit & a jar of veggies. Bottle again around 2pm, at 6 pm Dinner (bottle being priority over food), cereal w/ some fruit or a veg mixed and a bottle, 10 bottle, bath, book and bedtime...now this is just an idea- my kids always napped at dif times everyday so the schedule was flexible around there needs. If they where hungry I feed them.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son just went in for his 6 month check up on Monday and he's only been on cereal and first foods for about 3 weeks, but we were only giving it in the evening every one to two days. i asked the dr about the feedings and schedules and stuff and she said that we could now try feeding him 1-2 oz of the cereal and foods in the morning and evening. She said if he eats more than that it's okay too, he will tell you when he's full by turning his head or pushing it out with his tongue, or some way so you know he doesn't want anymore. She said to stick with the veggies first, and to try to stick to the same food for 3-4 days until you know they don't have any allergies to it. And once the veggies are comfy, go to fruits. I also asked about the juice and she said that it's really more or less just calories and not necessary to give to the baby. She recommended not giving the juice unless I really just wanted extra calories on board.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:32 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Msg me if you'd like to talk more. I'd be glad to try to help you. Sounds like were about at the same place in feedings.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2009