Would you allow your child to have an opposite sex friend come for a sleepover?

My friend was telling me that her 6 year old son had a fit over her not allowing his female friend to come for a sleepover.
Part of me is saying that they're 6 and they don't know any better,and part is saying it's setting him up to think that this will occur again in the future....when they're older
My son's teacher remarked a few weeks back that the school was having issues with the kids in regards to boyfriend/girlfriends as early as 1st grade.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Other than family, I would say no.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• I think if I knew the child & his parents and knew that they were really close, I would allow it up to age 8 or so.
    My DD is men to boys right now though, she thinks they're "icky".
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Under 9 or 10, wouldn't be that big a deal. After that, it's just asking for trouble.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• I would not. In all honesty, 6 is too young to begin sleepovers. Part of the problem we are all experiencing today is that everything is happening too soon. Dances in 6th grade, sleepovers in 1st grade, piercings at 10--What's there to look forward to later on and what happens to just being a child and learning how to enjoy and be content with just family????
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• no, i wouldn't. i have a 6 year old and she has a lot of 6 year old friends that are boys, but she's never asked if any of them can sleep over and the issue has never come up. so far she's only wanted her girl friends to sleepover. i don't think most kids are interested in "co ed" sleepovers at this age, to be honest.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• I have had one girl sleep over. It was my best friends step daughter. They consider each other sister and brother. Other than that I wouldn't let a girl sleepover. DS has had a "girlfriend" since pre-K.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• no
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Yes I would !

If you don't allow it because of the sex difference, imo you just teach them that there is something wrong or that a male and female can't be friends ?
    Then would I allow my 13 y/o to stay alone with a girl his own age ? Probably not, doesn't mean I wouldn't accept a female friend of his spending the night at our place, just not unsupervised. :)
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• No. While I agree that at 6, it's probably perfectly innocent, as they get older it sets that precedent that it's okay. And when they're older, it's not okay in my house. I even refused to babysit my best friend's daughter over night one time, because her daughter is only a little older than my son. She has a major crush on my son, and I just felt that was creating a situation that I didn't want to deal with.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2012

• No. I think it sets a bad precedent for them to continue the sleepovers as they age. When do you cut it off? My kids are 15, 12, and 11 and never have even questioned having an opposite sex friend over to sleep. They also have never had boy/girlfriends and I haven't encouraged it nor have I let family members ask them "who's your boyfriend" when my daughter was 5 - out of line and unacceptable. Her mind does not need to be on boys at that age as anything other than friends!

Answer by missanc at 7:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2012