how to potty train a 2yr boy when there is no father figure around

im a young mom im 21 i have a beutifull baby boy i am with my boyfriend but im a stay home mom and he works two jobs im trying to potty train my baby but i dont know how to start and i have to do it alone because his dad is never home

youngmommy21yrs

Asked by youngmommy21yrs at 4:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My husband was always out to sea when I was potty training a boy. Start with having him sit on the potty. There will be plenty of time later to teach him to stand. Only one of mine wanted to stand right off. The other three refused..adamantly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• having a father there or not has nothing to do with potty training. it will only have a negative effect if you act like that and have that attitude. good luck
    Anonymous

• I'm teaching my son just to sit on the potty and I have daddy around LOL at least he's not making the same mess his daddy leaves :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 4:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Answered at 4:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 by: Anonymous

having a father there or not has nothing to do with potty training. it will only have a negative effect if you act like that and have that attitude. good luck

what kind of answer is that?  she was asking how to do it, she obviously can't teach him to stand and was just asking...  if you have nothing constructive to add to a question, just move on without posting judgemental nonsense.
    Anonymous

• it wasnt being judgmental and it was MY answer.... i was telling her that if she keeps a negative attitude it will be harder. i could really care less if you dont like my answer. i dont know you and i dont care what you think.

i gave her the advice i wanted to. no one said you had to like it.
    Anonymous

• my sister potty trained my nephew just fine and she was a single Mom. You will do a great job. He can learn just as much about using the potty from watching you use the toilet.

My only advice would be not to rush it. Do it when he shows signs of being ready not when you want to do it. I thought I could train my son just after his 2nd Birthday. I even took a week leave from work. He just wasn't ready until 2 and half when he showed some bladder control and realised what the potty was for.
    notquiteMartha

Answer by notquiteMartha at 4:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• She can teach him to stand...it's not that hard.

To the original poster....start with sitting. Don't even worry about him standing to pee until his penis is above the rim of the toilet! lol

Just take him with you when you go. Train him in a way that works for him and you. When he has the hang of it and he's tall enough, then have him start standing. I stripped them down and had them lean in so their legs were touching the bowl...they kind of stick their tummy out and the aim is almost automatically perfect!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• When I was potty training my oldest son which is only 3 1/2, I let him in the bathroom with me so he could get the idea. But I started him sitting on the potty and he didnt always want to so i didnt make him cause that would only tramatize him with potty training, and then once he was ok with sitting on potty i made a game out of it, makeing "potty bubble" or putting colored cereal in the water, and sticker charts are always a fun way to go. My youngest son which is 2 1/2 took right to it cause he always went in the bathroom with his brother cause he wanted to do what ever his brother was doin so he was a breeze. There is no right or wrong way to potty train just what ever works for you and him, but he will let you know when he is ready to go potty. even if he goes into the bathroom and then turns around and decides he doesnt want to do it, that is a step closer. Good luck!
    MammaLacey234

Answer by MammaLacey234 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• MAKE IT A FUN THING TO DO! PUT FRUIT LOOPS IN THE TOILET AND TELL HIM TO SHOOT THEM WITH HIS PEE. AND WHEN HE DOES GIVE HIM A REWARD. LIKE A COOKIE OR SOMETHING OF THE SORT.
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2009