When does the soul enter the body?

in The Nature of Existence episode i watched last night there was a huge range of responses to this question...from pre-conception to the age of accountability (9-13 depending on the person). the answers were different even in the same religions, denominations, even the scientists didn't agree.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 2:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2012 in Religious Debate

• It doesn't, since it doesn't exist.

The accountability thing is hilarious to me, though. Have they seen 13 year old girls? Sorry, but your average twig or blade of grass has more soul than some of them.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 2:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• That's interesting, I never heard the belief that the soul enters the body between ages 9-13. I also think its interesting that some believe it enters the body when were born & take our first breath. Personally, I believe we're energy from the moment conception occurs. I'm not sure if I subscribe to the belief of a soul.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• The moment of conception. I think it's referred to direct creation in my church. It is made by God from nothing and is present from the moment of conception
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• I don't know, it's something I have thought about before. It's interesting.
    I wouldn't agree with age of accountability though - anyone under 13 doesn't have a soul? I don't think so.

PeacefulMom.2

Answer by PeacefulMom.2 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Just before birth

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• the age of accountability idea was weird to me...but the main guy w/ that belief had a special needs DD who was 6 mentally, so that may have influenced his belief.

FFA, most of the scientists said "well if we even have souls then i would think..." Dawkins was the only person who just flat out said "we dont" and left it at that.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• I think it would depend on which part you actually consider to be the soul. Your sense of empathy, compassion, whatever you call the instinct to nurture instead of harm, that's not fully developed at birth. Some people never figure it out (reread the past few days for some examples). Your personal little idiosyncracies - the things that make you you, those are there from the beginning. The chemical composition that distinguishes you from everyone else on earth, that's there from the moment of cell division, and technically speaking, was there prior to that, just not in its combined form (does the cake exist when it comes out of the oven, when it goes in the mixer, or when you put the flour and eggs in the shopping cart)?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• honestly? I kind of have never thought about it before...................

somewhere like 12-ish weeks after conception? i guess it seems like a person w/ a soul to me when you know it's there, its heartbeat is detectable, and so on

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Interesting question. I don't know for sure, but i believe when there's life there is a soul so I tend to think its at conception.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Define "soul"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2012