Texas Vacation

Looking to go on a family vacation in June 2011 to Southern Texas...(San Antonio, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island, Houtson, and Galveston) My kids will be 9 and 4 by then... Anyone who have gone on a Texas vacation w/ kids...how did it go? About how much did it cost? We will be driving down from Wichita, KS...so no flying there.

Briyawna

Asked by Briyawna at 4:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Travel

• Hi I'm from Corpus Christi. There are a few things to do here! We have a really nice aquarium which runs about $14 per adult and $8 per child (not completely sure). There is also the USS Lexington battle ship right next to the aquarium and it is really neat to go check out. If you like the beach, north padre is about a 30 minute drive from the city. It isn't crystal clear water and white sands, but it's still fun to let the little ones run around at. Our downtown area is beautiful and has all types of little shops to browse. Hope you make it our way and enjoy!
    danalou

Answer by danalou at 4:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• San Antonio here.. doin't forget to put Schlitterbahn on your list. If your budget is really tight...plan to go toobing on the Comal river. See the Alamo..donatioon only. Sea World..Ripleys..Tussauds.. the Sanke Farm...Buckhorn Sallon..all kinds of stuff to do.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• ** ya Schlitterbahn is on our list...I thought that was just an attraction and not a town...I went to San Antonio, CC, and South Padre Island in 1998 when I was in the 8th grade...during Christmas Break...it was cold (low 50s) and raining the whole time...we never got to get in the gulf and swim off of the CC shore...it was way too cold and there were jellyfish EVERYWHERE...I think they were all dead but I didn't wanna go in the water lol...I seen the Aquarium & USS Lexington while there and also went out on a dolphin spotting boat in SPI...lol My mom was broke growing up so when I take my kids I want them to do as much as possible...We are going to try to budget at least $5000 for this vacation for it ALL...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 5:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You should check out the Gruene in New Braunfels (right outside San Antonio). It's an interesting little historic town with some things to do such as rafting and tubing on the Guadalupe river, Market Days the third weekend of every month from February to November, its got an old general store, it's got some really good restaurants, it's close to schlitterbahn, the natural bridge caverns, and Natural bridge wildlife ranch. I've done all those and the kids love it. Here's a link where you can get more info:

http://www.touringtexas.com/gruene/
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• On Galveston Island they have Moody Gardens...pretty cool, I think there is a web site!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Oh, and stay away from Kemah....tourist trap!!
    chefjen

• That's a helluva lot of driving! lol

I live in Austin. It's about 6 hours to S. Padre from here. If you just stay on S. Padre you can easily fill up a week! A day at the beach alone will suck the life out of you! lol But there's also a Schlitterbahn Jr ON the island and there's a really great Zoo (Gladys Porter) in Harlingen. The drive from Padre to Corpus is about..ugh. Like 2.5 hours of NOTHING but ranch entrances. Although it's actually really cool to watch on your GPS if you have one (yes, I'm a dork). It's a whole lot shorter to visit the border towns and, if you feel like it, cross into Mexico for a little shopping. Some folks don't think it's safe to do so, but make up your own mind on that one. McAllen's like an hour and a bit away.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• ** Avarah~ Ya I have been to El Paso, TX and Worez, (spelling?) Mexico tons of times...all the little kids with the chicklets there drive me nuts though....If we take a trip up to mexico it would just be a spur of the moment thing! Not planned...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 1:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Just a rough draft of what we will be doing:
    San Antonio ( 3 days 2 nights): Six Flags, Sea World, The Riverwalk, The Alamo, and Ripleys. Then on to Corpus Christi (4 days 3 nights): Beaches, USS Lexington, Aquarium, then drive to Port Aransas for a day for the beaches, and South Padre Island another day for Schlitterbahn, Dolphin Watching, and Beaches..and then we will drive to Houston and stay in Houston (4 days 4 nights or something like that)...We are planning for Celebration Station, Downtown Aquarium, FunPlex, Oil Ranch, NASA...and then drive down to Galveston for a day or two..and so Harbour Tours, go the the beach, The Great Storm sounds interesting so we may do that...and the Flight Museum, Mardi Gras Museum, and Moody Gardens...and then go back home. We will leave June 4th and Come back on June 13th...Should that be enough time to do all of that or should I add more days or take out some activities...??
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 1:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2009