Pregnant with infected tooth and doctor won't give me Antibiotics

what can i do? i don't have insurance for dental and no money at the moment to pay for anything what will take down the swelling and pain?

cielo1

Asked by cielo1 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2012 in Health

• Is there a reason he gave for not giving you any antibiotics?

Since you're pregnant I'm really hesitant to tell of anything you should use for pain. Can your doctor give you a recommendation?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Normally, I'd say you could try some Ambesol or Orajel, or even clove oil, but I'm not sure if any of those are okay to use while pregnant. Do you have regular health insurance? If so, maybe there's a nurse line you could call? I would think, if nothing else, they'd at least be able to give you some advice on something you could take temporarily.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• she is a midwife and i am guessing this is why but idk.
    cielo1

Comment by cielo1 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Go to a different doctor. The urgent care doc gave me antibiotics while pregnant for just a sore throat.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• when i went today she said she cant give me anything that isn't pregnancy related. i am not asking for pain killers i just need amoxicillin

cielo1

Comment by cielo1 (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• I don't think you can take amoxicillan, you need one that is pregnancy safe, but she is a mid-wife. She can't give a prescription for your teeth!!! You need to see a dentist for that. Tell them you can't afford it and will have to be billed.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Go to a free dental clinic or to urgent care
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• yes---please get a differenr doctor and see somone at an ER. An infected tooth is really unhealthy and you need to be in good health for your baby's benefit while you arer carrying him/her.Antibiotics will not harm your baby. I had pneumonia during mythird preganancty and had to take them. My baby was really healthy.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• She gave you the reason, she is a midwife NOT a doctor. She must not be able to prescibe meds. So, see your doctor or go to the ER.

YOu can try gargling with very salty warm water and putting clove oil right on the tooth. It tastes nasty but really dulls the pain.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2012