Can family history of delivering babies have an impact on your labor and delivery?

For example... I gained the same amount of weight my mother gained when she was preggo with me and my brother.
I was the first born and MY first born had the same kind of delivery as I did (normal and used forceps).
My brother had to be delivery through c-section because my mom did not dilated - I am prego (almost due) with my second born and I am not dilating either. Is it possible I could end up with a C-section?

Paty_hotmommy

Asked by Paty_hotmommy at 4:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• anything is possible.
    Anonymous

• My first birth followed my sister's to a T. Ended in an emergency c-section under general anesthetic.
    Her second was born by repeat c-section at 37 weeks.
    My second was born at 42 weeks in an amazingly awesome homebirth.
    Family history doesn't always hold true. :)
    Danotoyou2

Answer by Danotoyou2 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• no, I don't think labor is genetic :)

my mom didn't dilate either and had 2 csections, but I've had 3 kids vaginally.

Anonymous

• i dont think its genetic either... i think its just the decisions you make...

in certain situations.. like c sections inductions forceps etc etc.. u know what i mean? :)
    Anonymous

• Interesting... my mother is convinced that I will end up with a C-section this time and I cant bear the thought of it! I am all for vaginal delivery.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 4:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• HA, I wish!!!
    My Mom had 6 easy hours of labor and I was out!!! I went through 38 hours, failed forceps and an emergency c-section! lol
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My mom had six children and every one of us was different. History is no determiner, it all depends on your body, your baby, the medical care you have and what phase of the moon and sunspots (or something!)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My mom had long labors, with the 3rd being an emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord. I sort of took after her mom. She would have one big contraction-and a baby. She had 6 kids, never even having labor. My son was born in 4hrs 39 minutes, drug free and we were only at the hospital for 1 hour. I have wide hips & my husband's grandma told me "I was built for birthin babies" the day she met me...I was still in high school.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I wish it worked that way with me. My Mom was in labor for 8 with me. I was her first, My sister, 1 hour and 10 mins, From first labor pain to holding her, then 1 hour 28 mins with my other sister from first labor pain to holding her. I on the other I was in labor for 35 hours and pushed for 5. So I would say no.
    KJDsMommy

Answer by KJDsMommy at 8:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009