Is it common to shoot past an entire size from a growth spurt?

DS was an 8 at the end of the school year. He ran around in shorts all summer, and I noticed them getting tight for him by the time summer was ending. Went to get new clothes for him, and the 10s were all too short and tight in the waist. I went a size up on his jeans, but shirts usually last him an extra season (he gets taller more than wider). He went to put on a long sleeve shirt he hadn't worn yet today, it was skin tight on him, barely reached his hands.

Someone at goodwill is going to be happy. How often does this happen along the way?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had that happen once so far. He went from a 4T to a 6. He totally skipped 5T and he was only in 6's for a couple months.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• Yes. Both of my girls did that with both clothing and shoes.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• My DS went from 6 month clothes to 12 months next step was 2 t. He never wore 9 month or 18 month clothes
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• All 4 of my kids have done it - I thought it was such a good idea to buy for the next year when everything was on clearance and she never wore any of it (thank goodness I had 2 more girls after her to wear it).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• YES it's common .. I guess it depends on the child my 8 year old grows slow her shoes and cloths can last 2 years .my 4 year old feet especially grows a 1/2 size every 2 months and my son was small then I swear one day just shot up out of nowhere nothing fit all his shirts were small his jeans all up at his ankles ..
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• I don't think my kids ever did that, but I think it's normal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• My boys did it once in a while in clothes but in shoes....OMG!!!! Theyd get brand new ones in one size and in just a few weeks suddenly need two sizes bigger! Its like their feet mutated over night! It happened several times around 8 and 9 grade so be prepared
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2012

• 4 year old DD wears a size 6. 5T never really happened. Only one pair of 5T jeans fit her, and that's only because I bought them while she was still a solid 4T. She also skipped a shoe size this year.

Also, I wish ALL kids pants came with the adjustable waist bands. Poor kid is having to deal with me putting safety pins in her jeans to keep them up, but a size down is too short! A 5T Long would be perfect.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2012

• They don't make "slim" for girls, do they? There were a few years where we had a better time going up a size for length, but getting the "slim" version so we didn't have to cut extra holes in the elastic adjustment straps.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2012

• My 3.5 year old just went from an 18 months to a 2t to a 4t over about 9 months. They all grow differently!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2012