Don't you just hate when people mispronounce things deliberately?

I am not talking about children. Grown women. Acting dumb. If people are "slow" thats one thing, but it drives me nuts to hear my mother in law do this. I also dated a boy in school who's mother did this. Here are my examples:
Titanic-Tuncanic
Horny-Awnry
Kiersten-Kiersing
Amancipated-Depistipated
I am sure there are more but you get the idea. If you ignore them for it, they'll keep repeating it and put more emphasis on the words. It's not cute but I guess they think it is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't mind mispronuciations as long as I can follow the gist of the idea. I have an aunt who just replaces words when she talks. She was once telling me how I had to udate the jarvo largo on my wendels machine. It took an hour to get enough words to understand that she was telling me to update java for my windows pc. She also teaches sewing classes and in every class at least once she replaces what she means to say with some random type word and blames her students for doing the wrong thing when they did exactly what she told them to do.
    CMSM_Admin

Answer by CMSM_Admin at 7:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• One of my friends always says "Brudder" for brother. Gets annoying when she even starts spelling it that way. And "Thither" for sister? WTF? She must think it makes her sound cute.
    Anonymous

• I hate it when Americans say;

tom-aay-to instead of tom-ahh-to. (tomato)
    Bay-zil instead of baz-ill (basil)
    Eye-rack instead or irr-ack (Iraq)
    And Or-EGG-ano instead of oregg-ANO. (Oregano)
    Anonymous

• I hate it when Americans say;

Bay-zil instead of baz-ill (basil)
    Eye-rack instead or irr-ack (Iraq)

Oh for goodness sakes, this is not what she means. To the OP, its the way that they were raised or something. For this person, who wrote this, In America we pronounce it this way, in another country it would be wrong, not offensive
    Anonymous

• anon 26 I say all of those...that was stupid...peCAN peCAHN...it all means the same thing goodness!
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• to anon 3:26 that's considered an accent not a mispronunciation. I hate it when people purposely say things wrong for my son I'm not talking about like ba-ba or da-da but wittwe instead of little its so annoying...
    Anonymous

• I irritates meit when people from the U.K. mispronounce ALUMINUM....they say al -U-min-ee-um.

For the P.P. do you say po-TAH -toe too?...
    Anonymous

• Oh my god, Americans are just one big ongoing joke.
    Anonymous

• I can't stand when people say axed instead of asked. I started responding to wow you axed your husband. Why aren't you in jail?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• No, it doesn't bother me. I don't like to hear people curse, that bothers me. To each his own. : )
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2009