Is it just me

Or am I the only one who seems to realize that no matter who would have been elected this problem would still be here?

No I did not vote for Obama, but it does not matter who was elected in this issue would still be huge.

Does this stimulus package have problems? Of course it does. Some major problems.

It is time to worry. It has been time to worry for a while. Hang on. We are in for a long, tumultous ride. This will not be over quick and easy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think your partial right but, obama made a lot or promises that he will never be able to keep.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• the problem is that the big banks are going down no matter what. they have terminal cancer, they won't change even with all the evidence that shows their ways are failing. plus, the American people are on to them and see them for the malevolence they are. IMO, anyone who has or opens an account with citibank or bank of America is making a poor choice.

all these packages are doing is extending the fall and will eventually make the hole deeper than it would be if the FREE MARKET was allowed to function the way it is supposed to. when companies make stupid choices, they are supposed die and make way for a new, better one.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I'm not worrying. As an old hymn I love says.. "The God of the good times, is still God in the bad times". It's amazing what we think we need...but really, all we need is food, water, shelter, and clothes. People need to start counting their blessings and stop being so covetous... that is what is sinking this "ship".
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Or am I the only one who seems to realize that no matter who would have been elected this problem would still be here?

You are exactly right.  It's difficult for me (fiscal conservative who didn't agree with bailout I) to see the likes of Pelosi and Ried dictating what Obama is pushing & selling. But I feel that if Pelosi and Ried would have consulted a few Republicans when they wrote the damn bill there could have been more BIpartisan efforts, debate, and perhaps a better more thought out decision could have been made.  Perhaps some long range payroll tax cuts, corporate tax breaks, etc...  Alas, that is neither here nor there.  It has passed. On to the House.  And off for Obama's siggy.  It's scary.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• The economic problem would have been there that is true,but the issue here is how Obama, congress, and the senate has chosen to deal with it. The choices that have been made are the issues at hand now and those are Obama's doing.
    Anonymous

• See, here's my problem - *this* mess is part self-fulfilling prophecy. Yeah, the mortgage crisis is/was very real and something had to be done. BUT, the markets didn't tank and things didn't go really far south until the Bush administration let Paulson out in front of camera's to yell his "Sky is falling" chant ad nauseum. Consumer confidence didn't nose dive until the media seized the headlines and made "your future is dark" stories the top billing every night. People hear often enough how bleak it is, they're going to start to holding on to their cash extra tight. They hold on to cash extra tight and things really do start to go hell in a hand basket extra fast. I wish I could find the exact quote to attribute it correctly - a wise economist once said the economy is 90% public perception. . . the biggest issue is the fear factor. Maybe if *we* were let to feel there was hope, we might have reason to believe it.
    Anonymous

• I agree. I keep hearing things like the economy is in a freefall and plummeting jobs and all this hyperbolic language meant to be provacative and make people tune into the news, but it is destructive. half of that huge oil spike was simply from speculators driving up the price for no real reason except hysteria.
    truth is tho, that people ought to be holding on to their money extra tight, and putting that crap in the bank instead of buying the latest coach bag or putting nikes on their 2 year old. if people weren't living beyond their means, a recession woudln't be catastrophic because they would have savings to tide them over. i don't even want to think about all the people that are making that $800 car payment so they can have the newest car on their block instead of contributing to their 401k. the banks bear the blame for a lot of this, but not all of it. the ridiculous culture of consumption must stop.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I agree. I think that either way-whoever won-would be passing some sort of bill. And people would be screaming all the same.

Anonymous

• i agree. whoever was elected would have this problem. i didnt vote this year just prayed that who ever won would be good for this country. so far im ok with obama. i woild have been ok with whoever though. this crisis is only gonna get worse before it gets better.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• good4:58 PM Anonymous, that was very insightfull. Thanks for the perspective.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2009