How do I get my son to nap without a battle?

I know it is my fault, but I have always laid down with my son to get him to nap, but it is a big waste of my time. I am trying to get him to do it himself, but he keeps getting up and all that. It's been going on for over an hour already. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its not gonna happen over night....your gonna have about a week of this "torture" you have to re program him basically. so hang in there and patience and sticking to it are your only things you really need to remember, the moment you give in, is the moment you have to start over.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Took my son 3 days by using the cry it out method. So worth it in the end when you get some time back to yourself!! Good luck :)
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I used to rock my son to sleep and then put him down in his own bed. He was getting to heavy to carry from the living room to his bedroom so what I did was I replaced myself in his crib with his favorite stuffed animal and a comfortable blanket. It took a little while, but now he asks to go down for a nap when he is tired and all I have to do is shut the shades and close the door.

My suggestion would be to set a time where your child can sleep without interruption and tell him that is time for a nap and let him cry for a while before you go in and comfort him but be solid. When you give in is when you have to start from scratch and that does you nor the child any good.
    PhotographyM0m

Answer by PhotographyM0m at 6:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• We started a routine with our LO for nap and bedtime. We let him know about 15 mins before bedtime that it's nap time/night-night time and set a timer. Then when the timer goes off, we change in into a night diaper then he picks out a book to read. We read the book to him then let him read it himself. Give him a kiss. then walk out the door and shut it. He's usually asleep right away. Before we could just walk out the door, we spent a couple of a days sitting by his bed until he fell asleep. As the weeks moved on, me moved farther away from the door. He'd go to sleep faster and faster, the further we moved away from the door. Finally we were standing outside the door. If your LO starts talking we wouldn't respond because he was just trying to stall going to sleep. We found that having a set routine helped the most. Hope that helps some.

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009