how can i help her have a BM?

my poor 5mo has only had a tiny BM since friday- she doesn't seem too uncomfortable but is that even healthy? shes BFing, started rice cereal about 1.5 weeks ago 1x daily very soupy. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO KARO, please. Botulism risk.

Make sure baby is nursing before the cereal.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• The rice is binding her up. She doesn't really need it anyway if she's nursing well. You can bicycle her legs, do tummy time or even take her temperature. I wouldn't give the karo syrup or fruit juice. It's also normal that BF babies don't go as frequently as FF.
    Anonymous

• It probably is the rice... it binds things up. You might want to switch to oatmeal if you want to stick with a cereal.

But to help her poop... you can do a couple oz of juice (100% juice) in apple, pear or prune and see if it helps. Some people might suggest Karo syrup but it's really not a good idea (same risks as Honey)

If she starts to be uncomfortable or you just are worried... you can do a gycerin suppository. Go to the childrens section in the pharmacy area and find kids ones. Lube it up with some K-9 and insert it into her bottom. She might fight you on it! (who wants something up their butt?) It should work pretty soon... usually within 30 mins... but for sure less than an hour.
    I would undress her to her diaper until she has pooped because it can get messy!! We used to wrap my son in a towel when he was having pooping problems.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• put alittle kyro syrup in her rice cearel just a tiny bit though. that will help her get regular again but many times when they start new foods it changes there BMs
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Well, everyone's body is different. My son, as an infant would go a full week without a BM. His doctor said it wasn't that big of a deal, but to try and coax it along. We would give him pear juice. Gerber makes one. Just give her an ounce or two of pear juice once or twice a day. Also, if you're feeding her baby food by now, do the prunes or the apples and prunes. Gerber prune juice would work too. Those are all natural laxatives.
    Anonymous

• my grandma told me to put 1 drop of caro syrup in a 2 oz. of water and see if she will drink it, it worked like magic. R.I.P. i love her sooo much!
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• IMPORTANT!!!!! JUST 1 DROP!!!!!
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• OH, AND SHE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO DRINK IT ALL.
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2009