Would this tick you off or am I being hormonal?

My son was born 10 days ago. My mom is here helping out for this week. Today she says to me, "you really look like you've lost weight." I mean seriously - I just pushed out a 9 pound baby, I better look like I've lost weight. She's always harped on my weight (I'm a heavy girl) since I was young. Why does she have to continue to bring it up - TEN DAYS after I gave birth? I'm so irritated. I'm trying to forget she said it - she's so clueless sometimes. Would you be annoyed or am I just being hormonal?

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hormonal.. sorry but i would be saying THANKS!! and have a huge smile if someone said that to me..

id be excited and glad and accept the compliment.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Hormonal.

I've known women who have pushed out a baby and not looked any different....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Hormonal.
    I don't think she was trying to be mean. It is amazing how much weight you loose... not just baby, but everyone seems to be swollen and it changes how your face and everything looks.
    She probably meant to say.... You look great!!!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• OK, thanks for helping me put this in perspective. I guess I am just sensitive about it because my weight has always been a "hot topic" with her. I'd rather she just not say anything (unless I drop 50 pounds and can bench press my husband - haha!). :-)
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• a bit of both. usually though, when someone says you look like you lost weight they mena it in a good way. you know, unless you're kate moss. so, smile, say thank you, and be happy. not everyone having a baby loses weight after pushing the kid out.
    and congrats.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 5:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I feel your pain! My mom told me I should stop eating bread to lose weight "I was a little heafty!!! my baby was maybe a month! I just laughted and asked her what her excuss was. My mom has always been like that towards me. Congrats on the baby but its a good thing that you have already begin to lose. Don't worry about her! she'll be gone in a week anyways
    GJCJMomie

Answer by GJCJMomie at 5:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I agree with the "both" comment.

And I don't take offense at all when people say that. I'm usually so sick by the time I give birth I'm below my start weight. So, I drop regular weight and then I get rid of all the baby weight, I usually HAVE lost weight. But I do pay the price with vomiting continually. Not fun. I have a feeling I'll be well above my start weight with twins, though!

Try not to be irritated. She could have mentioned how you're going to have a long road ahead losing all your baby weight. That would have been worse.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 5:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I would say hormonal but at the same time I understand your frustration....especially if youve had problems with your weight since you were young, but she might just be trying to make you feel good. I wouldn't let it get to me...just think you have this beautiful baby and thats all that matters for now.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I am sorry! I know how you feel. My mom doesn't comment on my weight because it's a sore spot with us! Ha ha, my grandmother, 3 days after I had Elizabeth looked at my stomach and said, "Michele, when are you going to have that baby? You are getting fat!"
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• your just hormonal, you should love her saying that. i think it may be a compliment
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2009