homework help needed asap

my kid, my annoying doesn't think she needs to keep her backpack clean kid, lost her spelling word list for the nine weeks nad the one her teacher gave her for today. she uses macmillan/mcgraw-hill. she's in the third grade and the story she is on is "here's my dollar." i've even called the homework hot line and they can't tell me. she doesn't have the numbers of any of her friends in her class and no one we do know is on the same grade level. if anyone has this spelling word list, please lmk. i need it so i am not stuck in this house for the next two weeks with an uber-grounded kid.

princezzmommie

Asked by princezzmommie at 5:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't know how to direct you to a site for the words themselves, but I just wanted to say that this is a third grade child who gets no benefit from "forgetting" or "losing" her word list. So, I agree with you that you can deal with her forgetting separately from this, but you can't let her just fail to learn her lesson. This is a young child who still needs her mom's help. Granted she needs to learn to keep track of her things, but that does not come easy to every child. If the child genuinely has a hard time with this, consequences alone won't solve the problem and in the meantime the grades will suffer and that feeling of failure will only hurt the child more. I guess I am responding to the responses now more than the original question, but it is important to understand where a child is coming from when you decide how to handle a situation. My son has similar problems...in case you couldn't tell from my "passion" .
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:49 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Don't rescue her. She needs to learn the consequences of misplacing/forgetting/losing her homework. So what if she sulks around? Put your foot down.
    Anonymous

• i'm not worried about her sulking aroudn for being grounded. i'm worried about teh backslide on her grades as a result of this. beleive you me, there are goign to be huge consequences for this.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 5:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• heck i would call the Teacher and let her know what your daugther did and how she keep her school work will teach her when the Teacher has a talk to everyone in class about how is matter abotu homework and how to keep your thing neat lol. sorry
    SassySugar40

Answer by SassySugar40 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Go to this site :)
    http://treasures.macmillanmh.com/california/students/grade3/book1/unit2/here-s-my-dollar
    almostamommyof2

Answer by almostamommyof2 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Do you plan to rescue her forever? I always thought part of being a parent was about teaching them to be responsible and discipline, not bailout every time they didnt do something.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 12:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Definitely call her teacher, and ask her if there's any assignments you haven't heard about, and if you can get a copy of the words. Then, take your daughter shopping. Get her a couple of little folders that she things are so cute and so cool, and she'll be more likely to use them, so that she can have them out in front of her friends. Tell her that these are for her to put her papers in so she doesn't lose them.
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 1:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Go through her back back each and every night after school and before homework time. The only things allowed in pack until she takes on the responsibility for it are her homework journal to write down asgnmts, her homework folder, book(s), pencils, lunch money purse / lunch. All the other garbage, toys, papers need to be purged. Don't do this for her, stand there and have her empty out the bag and do it step by step. This will go into routine pretty soon. You can also call her teacher for assistance with the homework asgnmts. I had a similar problem and after homework, was dinner and then straight to bed. That lasted for three days straight, then she got tired of her sister having ice cream and playing a game with mommy after dinner when she was in bed and could hear us in the living room. she was motivated to put the items in the back pack where they were supposed to go. She also got wild praise when it was right.
    snaprcat1

Answer by snaprcat1 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The teachers in our school district have computers in their rooms. If they do in your district, maybe she could e-mail you the words. As far as the books for school use, maybe talking to the teacher could get her a set of books for homework. My son had the same problem when he was growing up. Due to his ADHD, he needed the extra guidance and can't just "forget her books" You may also need to approach the Child Study team to see if there is a solution they can help with. Has your daughter seen the school counselor? If the problems continue, talk to her pediatrician.
    seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 3:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009