To Ponder...

The other day I talked about 14 yo losing her Nook.
A response was, "And that is why children shouldn't have expensive electronics".

Considering in about 12 months I can (and by some standards should) put her behind the wheel of a car and have her be responsible for not only her own life but that of everyone on the roads-

At what age is it appropriate to give a child expensive electronics?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 2:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Each kid is different. Hell, each adult is different I know adults who shouldn't have expensive electronics.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• I think it depends on the child. Some are more responsible at younger ages and some should never be allowed within 100 miles of anything remotely nice. My son has a Nintendo 3DS. He got it when he was 6. He has had an iPod since he was 5 (just a cheap one though). He has yet to lose or break either.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• It does depend on the child. But in general I think you work your way up. Like at age 10 they get a ipod, at ge 12 they get a nook, at 13 they get a cell phone...etc....you get what I mean. I don't think 14 is too young to have a nook at all. If we don't give our kids these electronics they will be so behind in their world. They need to learn to use these types of things while they are young or they'll have a hard time catching up with technology when they get a bit older. Similar to us "older" mom's who had none of this stuff as kids, and now in our 40's 50's trying to figure out how to use it all. Our 10 year old grandkids just pick the stuff up and know how to work it. If we don't ever give these things to our kids they won't know how to use them and it'll be as hard for them as it is for us now. JMHO
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 2:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• I know adults who shouldn't have expensive electronics. --

i know adults who shouldn't be behind the wheel, also. and they aren't oldsters!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• 37. :D

Ad is right though; it depends on the kid (or adult). Only the parents know for sure. Plus, if they never have anything they need to learn to care for, how will they ever learn to care for anything?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• personally I'm not a fan of kids driving at 15 anyway...

I think it depends on the kid- if they are prone to lsoing or breaking things then don't give them expensive stuff!
    If the tend to take more care with things-fine

*accidents happen

I wouldn't give anyone under say...10 any kind of expensive electronic item though - I'd probably only stick with things under about 30 or 40 bucks ( except a game system)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• DS has had his own computer since he was 2 or 3. It had an Elmo mouse, and a toddler sized computer desk DH built for him. He upgraded to a new one last year.

Kids are raised in homes with all kinds of expensive things, not to mention the home itself. You get them to take care of the electronics the same way you get them to not leave the refrigerator door open or throw hot wheels at mirrors. Instead of making them some big forbidden prize, treat them like any other thing in the house.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• I'm with others here, it depends on the kid. Some are very careful with their things. My 9-year old has an iPod touch- granted, the cheapest one, lol- but he's very careful with it, he only plays with it at home and if he wants to take it somewhere else, he always puts it in my purse. I'm even amazed it still looks white, lol. But he paid for half of it with his savings and he knows if anything happens to it there's no getting an other one.
    I'm not sure I would give one to my youngest at that age. He's gonna have to prove he's as responsible and careful and so far, he isn't.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• adnilm- lol
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• sad part is- i thought she would have been more careful with it than the 16 yo
    i just knew he would lose his first

i love it when they prove me wrong- sorta sigh
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2012