when did your baby sleep through the night?

dd is almost 6 months old, but she still wakes up every 2 hours at night, and getting her to sleep is almost impossible. she sleeps in a mini crib next to our bed right now. any suggestions on getting her to sleep through? even for just 4 hours?! haha
-sleepless in maine.

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 5:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dear sleepless in Maine,

try to let her sleep in her own room. Other than that make sure she is stuffed enough to actually make it through the night. When she wakes up and cries, then let her cry for a few minutes. Its not gonna harm her.

;-)

ps. our baby slept through the night since she was exactly 6 weeks old
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Have you started weaning her yet? Maybe she needs a bit of extra food to keep her full and then she will sleep better. My son slept through from about 6 weeks to 5 months then he started cutting teeth, so maybe it's this aswell? Don't panic I got him sleeping back through from around 7 months by getting him to cry it out. Also, it may be becuase she is so near to you? My son kept me awake and would wake up at every noise when he slept in my room but he was much more settled in his own room. There could be so many reasons but you will soon work out what is up with her :) Good luck x
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• What do you do when she wakes? She's probably waking for that at this point. Every two hours is a bit much for her age.
    The "averages" are:
    By 4 months, most babies can sleep 5 hours or more. (Do they? Hah!)
    By 8 months, most can sleep for 8 hours or more.
    By 1 year, most can sleep from bedtime to morning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My first daughter is 4 is still doesn't sleep thought the night, My newest daughter who is 5 months old usually only wakes once at 2 am to feed. I started putting a little cereal in her bottle and she sleeps till about 5am so I would try that and see if it helps. Have you tried snuggling her at night time? That helps and also i'm not sure if you rlittle one takes a binky but my little one would wake up because she would pull it out her mouth while sleeping so I started putting the baby gloves and that helps also! Good luck hun, It will come soon just don't rush it.
    GJCJMomie

Answer by GJCJMomie at 5:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My DD slept thru the nite (which is 5 hours remember) and she at times has wakeful periods, now b/c shes sick but they go thru stages. Maybe needs a bigger dinner. Is she eating solids. Maybe she needs a vege with some oatmeal before bedtime. Mine is 5 months and has been eating avocado for a week and loves it and seems more satisfied.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i was very lucky with my daughter, she started sleepin thru the night (from about 930pm-8am) when she was 2.5 months..i guess maybe because i formula fed she got fuller, so she slept longer..i dunno..but i mean, she still only ate at 2 months 4 maybe 5 oz's..maybe yours at 6 months is still hungry thats why she wakes up more..try giving her some cereal before bed to make her feel fuller and sleep longer..best of luck to ya!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Mine started sleeping four hours at about age two. At age nine, he still only sleeps a few hours at a stretch, gets up for water or the bathroom, goes back to sleep.

I do the same at age 45.

I tried solids to get him to sleep...he woke MORE.

What worked? I stopped trying to get him to sleep and worked with HIS pattern. He then started sleeping longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• get the book "solve your childs sleep problems" by Dr. Richard Ferber. I read the book, it helped tons. My baby was up every hour sometimes!! At 3 months I decided to use the Ferber method and in 3 nights my baby was sleeping 8-10 hours a night- with no crying wake ups. She learned to self soothe. You have to have patience for those first few nights, but trust me, its worth it. Good luck! If you need a book I have an extra one!!!
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my son is 3 mons old and sleep through the night he gets a boodle at 9:30pm and goes right top sleep and doesn't get up untill about 8:00am I just mak esure durning the day I only let him nap a lil at a time the less he sleeps durnign the day the better he gets one big nap durnign the day and thats about it and when i say big I mean about 2 hours just like my 3 year old
    Love313

Answer by Love313 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2009