Does your cookies on your computer show what websites have been visited recenly?

I noticed in my cookies there are names of websites. I notice it shows the websites I visited too. Does it show all websites visited recently?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 5:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• No. "Cookies" are small packets of info that a website stores on your computer so when you go back to that site, the site remembers you. For example, ever notice that some sites say "Hi your name here! Welcome back!" at the top? A "cookie" helped it remember you. And some companies pay other companies to put cookies on your computer so they can track info about you. Companies like doubleclick collect that info and use it to figure out if people who shop at Land's End are also likely to shop at Old Navy.

Your browsing history shows what websites you've been to, every website.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Mainly it is your history that shows the websites you have visited. Your antivirus software should pick up tracking cookies- cookies that could send information about where you've been online to companies. or you could also try spybot search and destroy that picks some up, too. You can delete your cookies, of course.

Answer by Bmat at 5:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Why, have you been visiting any inappropriate websites that you don't want your husband to find out about?
    Anonymous

• Maybe she's looking to see if her hubby has :-/ LMAO not that it matters, she just asked a question!
    Anonymous

• Someones been a bad girl
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 6:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Uh, no. I was asking because I seen some on there that I didn't visit too. Not anything bad, but I was wondering because I didn't get on them and they are there. My husband never gets on the computer too, so I was thinking they might be pop up's?
    Anonymous

• They aren't from pop-ups. Like I said, companies will pay other websites to put cookies on your computer so they can track info about you. Clear out any you don't recognize. Keep the ones you do - like CafeMom. If you delete the CafeMom cookies, the site won't recognize you when you come back and you'll have to log back in - which will put another cookie on your computer. :)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2009