• In the Spotlight:

should i let my son go to the lakers game tonight?he has been getting in trouble at school every week since after xmas vaca.i got the tickets for a xmas gift for him and his dad.

mamakris607

Asked by mamakris607 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, it's a father and son night out, which is important. Maybe this is what he needs. I would only punish him when he's doing stuff with friends and take away video games.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 5:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• heck yes you should its the lakers
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 5:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I understand why you are wondering, but for him and his dad to have time together can only be a good thing. Yes, he should go.

Answer by Bmat at 5:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• for me I wouldnt if his getting into that much trouble but then of course it depends what kind of trouble it is but thats your choice
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Normally, I would say no - you get in trouble, you lose privileges, and going to a game is a privilege. (there are other things they could do to spend father son time together).

HOWEVER - this is not a normal getting to do something sort of thing. This was a Christmas gift that was given to him when he wasn't in trouble. It's not an object that he can get back, you gave him the gift of this experience for Christmas, and I think you need to let him have it.

I would make it very clear to him that he's still in trouble though - maybe tell him "since this was your Christmas present, you can go, but you are still grounded, and you have lost x,y, and z until ____ time, or until you straighten up", or however you decide.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• let him go, but make him do housework to make up for the bad behavior.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 5:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• That's a tough one, on one hand I think spending some one on one time with his dad is a good thing but at the same time it would be like he is getting rewarded for the bad behavior.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I'm with sailerwifenmom

This is truly a tough one...how old is he?
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2009